Robert J. Glushko
|Robert J. Glushko|
|Alma mater||University of California, San Diego|
|Known for||Document engineering, information architecture, business process modeling, XML vocabulary development|
Robert J. Glushko is an adjunct professor at the University of California Berkeley School of Information. He has written a number of books including Document Engineering (2005) and The Discipline of Organizing (2013).
In 1997, he co-founded Veo Systems and helped pioneer the use of XML for electronic business. Veo's innovations included the Common Business Library (CBL), the first native XML vocabulary for business-to-business transactions, the primary starting point for what is now the Universal Business Language (UBL), and the Schema for Object-Oriented XML (SOX), the first object-oriented XML schema language.  From 1999-2002 he headed Commerce One's XML architecture and technical standards activities, after Commerce One acquired Veo in 1998.
He is the husband of Pamela Samuelson. In 2001, they founded the David E. Rumelhart Prize for Contributions to the Theoretical Foundations of Human Cognition. Rumelhart was Glushko's thesis advisor at the University of California, San Diego, where he received his PhD in 1979. Glushko and Samuelson have also helped create several law school clinics working on public interest technology issues. These include:
- Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Law Clinic of the Washington College of Law  at American University
- Samuelson Law, Technology & Public Policy Clinic  at University of California, Berkeley
- Samuelson-Glushko Intellectual Property and Information Law Clinic  at Fordham University
- Samuelson-Glushko Technology Law & Policy Clinic  at University of Colorado, Boulder
In 2008, Glushko was recognized as an honorary member of the Cognitive Science Society "for outstanding, sustained contributions to the general advancement of cognitive science,and in particular,to the Cognitive Science Society." He has also been named one of 50 UCSD Alumni Leaders by the UCSD Alumni Association.
- "Robert Glushko, Adjunct Professor". UC Berkeley School of Information. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Robert J. Glushko Home Page". UC Berkeley School of Information. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "The David E. Rumelhart Prize". Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Law Clinic of the Washington College of Law". American University. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Samuelson Law, Technology & Public Policy Clinic". UC Berkeley School of Law. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Samuelson-Glushko Intellectual Property and Information Law Clinic". Fordham University. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- "Samuelson-Glushko Technology Law & Policy Clinic". Colorado Law, University of Colorado, Boulder. Retrieved 17 September 2013.
- Claire Caraska; Malinda Danziger, Mary Johnson (2011-05). "Alumni Leaders". at UCSD (UCSD Alumni Association) 8 (2).
As of this edit, this article uses content from "Robert J. Glushko Home Page", which is licensed in a way that permits reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License, but not under the GFDL. All relevant terms must be followed.
|Library resources about
Robert J. Glushko
|By Robert J. Glushko|
|This article about a person involved with library and information science is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|