Robert James Russell
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (December 2013)|
|Robert James Russell|
Grand Rapids, MI
|Occupation||Writer, editor, publisher|
|Alma mater||Michigan State University;
Oxford Brookes University
|Genre||Novel, Short Story|
Robert James Russell (born 1981) is a contemporary American writer, editor, and publisher. His first novel, Sea of Trees, was published in 2012 by Winter Goose Publishing.
Russell was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and upon graduating from Michigan State University, attended Oxford Brookes University, earning his Master of Arts in English Studies focusing on American regionalist and modernist literature. He has lived and worked throughout the Midwestern United States, as well as Los Angeles and Incheon, South Korea (where he taught English as a Second Language). He currently resides in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Russell is also the co-founding editor of Midwestern Gothic, a quarterly literary journal that aims to shine a spotlight on Midwestern authors and literature. His work has appeared in numerous literary magazines, including Crime Factory, WhiskeyPaper, Pithead Chapel, Gris-Gris, The Collagist, Joyland: A hub for short fiction, and Thunderclap! Magazine, among others.
Russell's debut novella Sea of Trees has been reviewed favorably. In a review on her site, author and blogger L. M. Stull said, "Russell's writing is raw, real, and stunningly palpable. A book that will grip your soul, Sea of Trees, will envelope you and hold you until the very end. This book is nothing short of a masterpiece and will surely place Russell on bookshelves across the world for readers to enjoy."[self-published source?] Ian Chung of the book review site Sabotage Reviews wrote, "What holds this delicate structural balancing act together is Russell's assured command of language."
- Sea of Trees (Winter Goose Publishing, 2012)
- Chung, Ian (August 6, 2013). "Interview with Robert James Russell (Sea of Trees)". SabotageReviews.com. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- Berlatsky, Noah (February 29, 2012). "No Place, U.S.A.". Chicago Reader. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- Stull, L. M. (May 23, 2012). "Book Review ~ A Sea of Trees by Robert James Russell". LMStull.com. Retrieved December 8, 2013.
- Chung, Ian (August 7, 2013). "'Sea of Trees' by Robert James Russell". Sabotage Reviews. Retrieved December 8, 2013.