||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2010)|
Robert William Jensen (born July 14, 1958) is a professor of journalism at the University of Texas at Austin College of Communication. He joined the faculty in 1992 after completing his Ph.D. in media law and ethics in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Minnesota. He teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in media law, ethics, and politics.
In his research, Jensen draws on a variety of critical theories. As a strong feminist, Jensen has focused much of his work on the radical feminist critique of pornography and of masculinity. He also has written about white privilege and institutional racism.
In addition to teaching and research, Jensen writes for popular media, both alternative and mainstream. His opinion and analytic pieces on such subjects as foreign policy, politics, and race have appeared in papers around the U.S. He also is involved in a number of activist groups working against U.S. military and economic domination, including the Third Coast Activist Resource Center. He also works on progressive community projects in Austin, TX, including the progressive community center "5604 Manor."
Jensen grew up in North Dakota. In 1981, he received a Bachelor of Science degree from Moorhead State University (now Minnesota State University, Moorhead), and in 1985, he received a Master of Arts degree in journalism and public affairs from American University. Prior to his academic career, he worked as a reporter and copy editor for several newspapers, including the St. Petersburg Times and the St. Paul Pioneer Press.
In the piece, Jensen wrote that the September 11th terrorist attacks were "reprehensible and indefensible" but "no more despicable than the massive acts of terrorism – the deliberate killing of civilians for political purposes – that the U.S. government has committed during my lifetime."
Jensen's piece drew both praise and criticism. Some individuals demanded that The University of Texas fire Jensen. In response, University of Texas President Larry Faulkner wrote in a letter to the editor published in the Houston Chronicle that he was "disgusted by Jensen's article" and called Jensen "a fountain of undiluted foolishness on issues of public policy."
- Arguing For Our Lives: Critical Thinking in Crisis Times (City Lights, 2013) ISBN 978-0-87286-573-0
- We Are All Apocalyptic Now: On the Responsibilities of Teaching, Preaching, Reporting, Writing, and Speaking Out (Robert Jensen & the MonkeyWrench Books collective, 2013)
- All My Bones Shake: Seeking a Progressive Path to the Prophetic Voice (Soft Skull Press, 2009)
- Getting Off: Pornography and the End of Masculinity (South End Press, 2007)
- The Heart of Whiteness: Confronting Race, Racism and White Privilege (City Lights, 2005) ISBN 978-0-87286-449-8
- Citizens of the Empire: The Struggle to Claim Our Humanity (City Lights, 2004) ISBN 978-0-87286-432-0
- Writing Dissent: Taking Radical Ideas from the Margins to the Mainstream (Peter Lang, 2002) ISBN 978-0-8204-5651-5
- Co-author with Gail Dines and Ann Russo of Pornography: The Production and Consumption of Inequality (Routledge, 1998)
- Co-editor with David S. Allen of Freeing the First Amendment: Critical Perspectives on Freedom of Expression (New York University Press, 1995)
- Producer, “Abe Osheroff: One Foot in the Grave theOther Still Dancing,” directed by Nadeem Uddin (Media Education Foundation,2009, 46 mins.)
- Senior Consultant, “The Price of Pleasure:Pornography, Sexuality and Relationships,” produced and directed by MiguelPicker and Chyng Sun (Media Education Foundation, 2008, 55 mins.)
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (May 2012)|
- Robert Jensen homepage, with article archive
- Robert Jensen speaking on white supremacy, patriarchy, and capitalism on Uprising Radio
- Robert Jensen speaking on "Beyond Multiculturalism"
- Robert Jensen speaking on feminism and masculinity
- Robert Jensen speaking on "The Color of the Race Problem Is White"
- Robert Jensen speaking on "The Death of the American Dream"
- "The Price of Pleasure: Pornography, Sexuality, and Relationships," Documentary film directed by Chyng Sun and Miguel Picker (2008) quotes Robert Jensen]
- "Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land: Media & the Israel-Palestine Conflict", Documentary film directed by Sut Jhally and Bathsheba Ratzkoff (2003) quotes Robert Jensen
- Articles by Robert Jensen on The Rag Blog
- Thorne Dreyer's July 8, 2011, Rag Radio interview with Robert Jensen (54:58)
- "Articles". Uts.cc.utexas.edu. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "Third Coast Activist". Third Coast Activist. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "5604 MANOR". 5604 MANOR. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Jensen, Robert (2009-06-05). "The Inquisition < Killing the Buddha". Killingthebuddha.com. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "Eliza Gilkyson". Eliza Gilkyson. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Robert Jensen (1998-07-19). "Robert W. Jensen-White Privilege". Uts.cc.utexas.edu. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Robert Jensen. "Robert W. Jensen-Curriculum Vitae". Uts.cc.utexas.edu. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Articles by Jensen University of Texas at Austin
- "U.S. just as guilty of committing own violent acts", Houston Chronicle, September 2001
- "Stop the insanity here". Uts.cc.utexas.edu. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Nichols, Lee (2001-09-28). "War of Words". The Austin Chronicle. Archived from the original on 2012-11-04. Retrieved 2013-11-23.