Robert McGinnis (born 1926) is an American artist and illustrator. McGinnis is known for his illustrations of over 1200 paperback book covers, and over 40 movie posters, including Breakfast at Tiffanys (his first film poster assignment), Barbarella, and several James Bond and Matt Helm films.
McGinnis became an apprentice at Walt Disney studios, then studied fine art at Ohio State University. After wartime service in the Merchant Marine he entered advertising and a chance meeting with Mitchell Hooks in 1958 led him to be introduced to Dell Publishing began a career drawing a variety of paperback covers for books written by such authors as Donald Westlake (writing as Richard Stark), Edward S. Aarons, Erle Stanley Gardner, Richard S. Prather, and the Michael Shayne and Carter Brown series.
McGinnis's attention to detail was such that when he was assigned to do the artwork for Arabesque he requested Sophia Loren's tiger stripe dress be sent for him for a model to wear so he could get the right appearance.
In 1985 McGinnis was awarded the title of "Romantic Artist of the Year" by Romantic Times magazine for his many romance novel paperback covers.
Since 2004, McGinnis has created cover illustrations for the Hard Case Crime paperback series.
References and footnotes 
- Biography: McGinnis, Robert. - Cavalier Galleries
- Jilbert, Paul. - Celebrating Films of the 1960s & 1970s: New DVD Documentary on Legendary Movie Poster Artist Robert McGinnis". - Cinema Retro. - May 13, 2008
- Nourmand, Tony, (2001). - James Bond Movie Posters: The Official 007 Collection. - London: Boxtree. - ISBN 978-0-7522-2017-8
- Virtual Pin-ups Art Gallery: artist Robert McGinnis/9. - ImageNETion
- Robert McGinnis at the Internet Movie Database
- Hall of Fame. - Society of Illustrators
Further reading 
- Fenner, Artie, and Cathy Fenner, (2000). - Tapestry: The Paintings of Robert McGinnis. - Underwood Books. - London: Hi Marketing . - ISBN 978-1-887424-56-1
- Scott, Art, (2001). - Paperback Covers of Robert McGinnis. - Boston: Pond Press. - ISBN 978-0-9666776-4-5
- Robert E. McGinnis Gallery (temporarily retired)
- McGinnis – American Art Archives
- Virtual Pin-ups Art Gallery: artist Robert McGinnis/4 – ImageNETion
- Collection of McGinnis paperback covers at Flickr