Robert P. Murphy
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (December 2013)|
|Born||May 23, 1976|
|Institution||Pacific Research Institute
Institute for Energy Research
|Field||Financial Economics, Trade|
|Alma mater||New York University (Ph.D.) 2003
Hillsdale College (B.A.) 1998
Robert P. Murphy (born 23 May 1976) is an American economist, consultant and author. He is an economist with the Institute for Energy Research specializing in climate change. He also is a senior fellow in business and economic studies at the Pacific Research Institute, a research fellow with the Independent Institute, and an associated scholar at the Ludwig von Mises Institute. In addition to economic subjects, Murphy writes about, and has taught classes in, anarcho-capitalism.
Life and work
From 2003 until 2006, Murphy was Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics at Hillsdale College. He moved to Nashville, Tennessee, where he still lives, in 2006 to work as an analyst for Arthur Laffer's consulting firm during 2006-2007, working on stock selection models and research papers for clients. He now is a financial consultant who provides forecasts regarding interest and exchange rates, growth, and inflation.
Murphy has been published in The American Journal of Economics and Sociology, The Review of Austrian Economics, the Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics and the Journal of Private Enterprise. He has written for The Freeman, The American Conservative and LewRockwell.com. He previously wrote a column for Townhall.com. Murphy has written for the The Washington Times, Forbes and Barron's Magazine.
Murphy has written numerous articles on free-market economics, as well as study guides, for layman audiences and students. Murphy is author of the 2007 book The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism. According to a review in Human Events the book distilled “complex concepts down to a convenient and accessible form”. Gene Epstein wrote in Barron's Magazine that “Murphy makes a compelling case for the unfettered free market, or what his intellectual antagonists would call "free-market fundamentalism", but writes Murphy is sometimes too irreverent.
Murphy's 2009 book The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal blamed government policies, and especially monetary policy, for the 2008 recession. Murphy’s 2010 Lessons for the Young Economist is an introductory textbook for students.
Murphy has testified before the United States Congress on behalf of the Institute for Energy Research, discussing climate change, oil prices and the dollar, gas prices and the "social cost of carbon".
In 2009, Murphy discussed various economic policies of the Bush and Obama administrations, which he called "incredible assaults on the private sector from the central government". He stated that the policies of Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke and President Obama would lead to double-digit inflation with high unemployment and could facilitate the abandonment of the US Dollar by the end of the Obama Presidency. Murphy warned that soaring prices for gasoline and imported products sold at Wal-Mart might be blamed by Obama Administration officials on "an attack on the Dollar by foreign speculators" and used by them to replace the Dollar with the Amero or some other currency "issued by a supranational organization". Murphy urged investors to purchase an "emergency stockpile" of physical gold and silver, and predicted double-digit inflation.
- Chaos Theory (2002) – A short work composed of two essays on market anarchy; one discussing the production of defense services, and one describing the provision of private criminal and civil justice.
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism (April 2007) – A volume in The Politically Incorrect Guide series published by Regnery Publishing. ISBN 978-1-5969-8504-9 OCLC 79860752
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal (April 2009) ISBN 978-1-5969-8096-9 OCLC 315239348
- Lessons for the Young Economist (2010) ISBN 978-1-9335-5088-6 OCLC 681711737
- How Privatized Banking Really Works – Integrating Austrian Economics with the Infinite Banking Concept (2010) co-written with L. Carlos Lara
- Robert P. Murphy profile, Institute for Energy Research, accessed December 9, 2013.
- Robert P. Murphy, Why Government Doesn't—and Can't—Manage Resources Like a Private Business, Library of Economics and Liberty, December 2, 2013.
- Robert P. Murphy profile, Independent Institute, accessed December 5, 2013.
- Robert P. Murphy profile at Ludwig von Mises Institute, accessed December 5, 2013.
- Robert P. Murphy, Learn Anarcho-Capitalism Online, Mises Daily, July 24, 2012.
- Robert P. Murphy, But Wouldn't Warlords Take Over?, Mises Daily, July 7, 2005.
- Robert P. Murphy biography as economist and consultant to USATrustOnline.com.
- Written Testimony of Robert P. Murphy, Institute for Energy Research Before the House Committee on Financial Services On the Matter of Oil Prices and the U.S. Dollar, July 24, 2008, Committee website, accessed December 8, 2013.
- Robert P. Murphy, Ph.D. (economic consultant) website at ConsultingbyRPM.com.
- Resumé/CV, Robert P. Murphy website, accessed December 6, 2013.
- Robert P. Murphy, Coordination: A Critique of Daniel Klein, The Journal of Private Enterprise, 25(2), 2010, 117-127, 117.
- Robert P. Murphy archives at The Freeman website.
- Robert P. Murphy archives at The American Conservative website.
- Robert P. Murphy archives at LewRockwell.com.
- Robert Murphy columns archive, Townhall.com, accessed December 6, 2013.
- Robert P. Murphy, Are Real Economists Bears?, The Washington Times, February 19, 2010, accessed via Highbeam.
- Robert P. Murphy, Memo To The Fed: Stop Those Rate Cuts, Forbes, March 16, 2008.
- Robert P. Murphy, Capitalism is validated by "mechanism-design" theory, Barron's Magazine, May 12, 2008
- Johnson (14 May 2007). "Newest 'Politically Incorrect Guide' Sticks up for Capitalism". Human Events.
- Epstein, Gene (9 July 2007). "Nine Good Reasons to Hit the Beach". Barron's Magazine.
- Raymond J. Keating, The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal, The Freeman, January 1, 2011.
- Robert P. Murphy, Lessons for the Young Economist, accessed December 6, 2013.
- Interview with Robert P. Murphy on "Lessons for the Young Economist", MisesMedia YouTube channel, November 2010.
- Climate Change: Robert P. Murphy, Congressional Testimony, July 18, 2013, Federal Document Clearing House, Inc., accessed via Highbeam.
- Oil Prices and the Weak Dollar: Robert P. Murphy, Congressional Testimony, July 24, 2008, Federal Document Clearing House, Inc., accessed via Highbeam.
- Impact of Federal Reserve Policies on Gas Prices:robert P. Murphy, Congressional Testimony, May 25, 2011, Federal Document Clearing House, Inc., accessed via Highbeam.
- Written Testimony of Robert P. Murphy, Senior Economist, Institute for Energy Research, Before the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works On the Matter of “The ‘Social Cost of Carbon’: Some Surprising Facts” July 18, 2013; Senate Committee website accessed December 8, 2013.
- Robert P. Murphy, "Killing the Currency", The American Conservative, December 10, 2009.
- Robert P. Murphy website
- Robert P. Murphy at Institute for Energy Research: Profile
- Robert P. Murphy at Mises.org: Literature archives, Daily Article archives, Faculty Spotlight Interview: Robert Murphy
- Robert P. Murphy profile, Independent Institute
- Robert P. Murphy archives at Library of Economics and Liberty
- Robert P. Murphy archives at The Freeman website.
- Robert P. Murphy archives at The American Conservative website
- Robert P. Murphy archives at LewRockwell.com