Robert Remez  is an American experimental psychologist, cognitive scientist, theoretician and teacher. He is currently a Professor of Psychology at Barnard College, Columbia University and Chair of the Columbia University Seminar on Language & Cognition (founded in 2000). His teaching focuses on the relationships between cognition, perception and language . He is best known for his theoretical and experimental work on perceptual organization and speech perception. With Carol Fowler, Philip Rubin, and Michael Turvey, he introduced the consideration of speech in terms of a dynamical systems/action theory perspective . With Rubin and various other colleagues, he has used the technique of sinewave synthesis as a unique tool for exploring perceptual organization . He is the co-editor, with David Pisoni, of the Handbook of Speech Perception. He was the Ann Olin Whitney Professor and former Chair of the Department of Psychology at Barnard College and is a member of the Board of Directors of Haskins Laboratories.
Remez is a member of the Language and Communication Study Section (LCOM), at the National Institute of Health Center for Scientific Review. He is a graduate of Brandeis University and the University of Connecticut.
Awards and honors
- Fellow, Acoustical Society of America
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Fellow, American Psychological Association
- Fellow, Association for Psychological Science
- Fowler, C. A., Rubin, P. E., Remez, R. E., & Turvey, M. T. (1980). Implications for speech production of a general theory of action. In B. Butterworth (Ed.), Language Production, Vol. I: Speech and Talk (pp. 373–420). New York: Academic Press.
- Remez, R. E.; Rubin, P. E.; Pisoni, D. B.; Carrell, T. D. (1981). "Speech perception without traditional speech cues". Science 212 (4497): 947–950. doi:10.1126/science.7233191. PMID 7233191.
- Remez, R.E.; Rubin, P.E.; Berns, S.M.; Pardo, J.S.; Lang, J.M. (1994). "On the perceptual organization of speech". Psychological Review 101 (1): 129–156. doi:10.1037/0033-295X.101.1.129. PMID 8121955.
- Remez, R. E. (1994). A guide to research on the perception of speech. In M. A. Gernsbacher (Ed.), Handbook of Psycholinguistics (pp. 145–172). New York: Academic Press.
- Remez, R. E.; Fellowes, J. M.; Rubin, P. E. (1997). "Talker identification based on phonetic information". Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance 23 (3): 651–666. doi:10.1037/0096-15126.96.36.1991.
- Remez, R. E.; Pardo, J. S.; Piorkowski, R. L.; Rubin, P. E. (2001). "On the bistability of sinewave analogs of speech". Psychological Science 12 (1): 24–29. doi:10.1111/1467-9280.00305. PMID 11294224.
- Remez, R. E. (2005). The perceptual organization of speech. In D. B. Pisoni and R. E. Remez (Eds.), The Handbook of Speech Perception, (pp. 28–50). Oxford: Blackwell