Robert Smith, Baron Smith of Kelvin
|The Lord Smith of Kelvin
|Born||Robert Haldane Smith
8 August 1944
|Spouse(s)||Alison, m. 1969
(now The Lady Smith of Kelvin)
|Occupation||Businessman and parliamentarian|
Robert Haldane Smith, Baron Smith of Kelvin KT (born 8 August 1944 at Glasgow) is a British businessman and former Governor of the British Broadcasting Corporation before the advent of the BBC Trust. "Robert was knighted in 1999, appointed to the House of Lords as an independent cross-bench peer in 2008, and appointed Knight of the Thistle in 2013."
On 19 September 2014, he was appointed as Chair of the newly-formed Scotland Devolution Commission by Prime Minister David Cameron, following the "No" result in the Scottish independence referendum; his role being to oversee devolution commitments spelt out by the Westminster parliamentary leaders, with initial proposals drawn up by November 2014.
After leaving school in 1963, Smith failed his first-year English exams at Glasgow University, only then turned to a career in accountancy when articled to Robb Ferguson & Company, and qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1968.
Smith moved to ICFC, later known as 3i, until 1982 and joined the Royal Bank of Scotland in 1983. From 1985 to 1989 he was Managing Director of Charterhouse Development Capital Ltd. He also held the posts of Chairman and CEO with Morgan Grenfell Private Equity, CEO of Morgan Grenfell Asset Management and was Vice Chairman of its successor, Deutsche Asset Management, between 2000 and 2002. He has held various positions as Director of, MFI Furniture Group plc, Stakis plc (of which he was also Chairman from 1998 to 1999), the Bank of Scotland, Tip Europe plc and Network Rail. From 1 July 2002 to 31 December 2013, Smith was Chairman of The Weir Group.
Smith was a member of the Financial Services Authority from 1997 to 2000 and is a member of the Financial Reporting Council. As Chairman of the FRC Group on Audit Committees Combined Code Guidance he was responsible for The Smith Report (2003).
On 8 February 2008, Smith was appointed as Chair of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games organising company. He was announced as the first Chair of the British Green Investment Bank in May 2012.
On 19 September 2014, Smith was appointed as Chair of the newly formed Scotland Devolution Commission, following the "No vote" in the Scottish independence referendum.
Lord Smith of Kelvin is a Past President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland and was Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the National Museums of Scotland from 1993 until 2002 and was a member (1988–1998) and Vice Chairman (1996–1998) of the Museums and Galleries Commission.
Smith married Alison Marjorie Bell in 1969; initially Mrs Alison Smith, she formally became Lady Smith when her husband received a knighthood in 1999. They have two daughters.
Smith has been conferred honorary degrees by the Universities of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Paisley, where he was installed as Chancellor in 2003, serving for 10 years. Smith's time at the University of Paisley oversaw the merger with Bell College in Hamilton, intended to create the biggest new university in Scotland. The University changed its name to the University of the West of Scotland in November 2007.
In 2010, the Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors awarded Smith an Honorary Fellowship at the Annual Scottish Conference in recognition of his long term support of the internal audit profession.
- Life Peer as Baron Smith of Kelvin, in the City of Glasgow (created 29 May 2008)
- Knight Companion of the Order of the Thistle (2014)
- Knight Bachelor (1999)
- Mr Robert Smith (1944–1999)
- Sir Robert Smith (1999–2008)
- The Lord Smith of Kelvin (2008-2014)
- The Lord Smith of Kelvin, KT (2014-)
- Court of the Lord Lyon
- Lord Smith of Kelvin UK Parliament
- Lord Smith of Kelvin The Smith Commission, 27 November 2014
- Chancellor University of Strathclyde
- Scottish Independence Referendum: statement by the Prime Minister GOV.UK, 19 September 2014
- Scottish referendum: Who is Lord Smith of Kelvin? BBC News, 19 September 2014
- Profile: Lord Smith of Kelvin The Independent, 28 November 2014
- A cliffhanger of an end to a classic Scottish detective story - Part 3: The blameless board Scottish Review, 24 November 2011
- Chair appointed to help deliver 2014 Games Scottish Government, 7 February 2008
- The Weir Group, 01 May 2013
- Interview with Lord Smith of Kelvin Audit & Risk (Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors), 1 September 2011
- Meet the Team Foundation Scotland
- Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games Has New Head GamesBids.com, 8 February 2008
- Lord Smith to chair Green Investment Bank BBC News, 25 May 2012
- The London Gazette: . 3 June 2008.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2013.
- The London Gazette: . 12 June 1999.
- Burke's Peerage & Baronetage
- Sir Robert Smith to stand down as BBC National Governor for Scotland BBC Press Office, 29 July 2004
- Our team - Lord Smith of Kelvin - Chairman SSE