Robert Stanton (actor)
|Born||Robert Lloyd Stanton
March 8, 1963
San Antonio, Texas, U.S.
Robert Lloyd Stanton (born March 8, 1963) is an American film, television and stage actor, director and playwright. He may be best known for his role in the 1993 film Dennis the Menace as Henry Mitchell, the title character's father.
Stanton trained at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts Graduate Acting Program and began his acting career in Joseph Papp's production of the play Measure for Measure, at the Delacorte Theater in 1985. He was in the resident company of the American Repertory Theater in Cambridge, Massachusetts from 1989 to 1991.
His Broadway credits include John Guare's A Free Man of Color, Friedrich Schiller's Mary Stuart and Tom Stoppard's The Coast of Utopia. Off Broadway credits include David Lindsay-Abaire's Fuddy Meers, A.R. Gurney's A Cheever Evening and Caryl Churchill's Owners and Traps. He won an Obie Award and a Clarence Derwent Award for his performance in David Ives's All in the Timing in 1994.
He directed an Off-Off-Broadway production of Ives's Don Juan in Chicago in 1995.
Film and television roles
Stanton made a brief appearance in the 1988 thriller, The House on Carroll Street. In 1992, he appeared in the films A League of Their Own and Bob Roberts. In 1993, he had what may be his most famous role, playing Henry Mitchell in Dennis the Menace.
He played John Chapman in the 1994-95 television show The Cosby Mysteries.
He later appeared in a variety of films, including Don't Drink the Water (1994 film), Striptease, Washington Square, Red Corner, Next Stop Wonderland, Mercury Rising, The Quiet American, Head of State, The Stepford Wives, Find Me Guilty, and Confessions of a Shopaholic.
Stanton appeared in episodes of the television shows Law & Order, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Frasier, Ed, Third Watch, Damages, NYC 22, The Good Wife, and Orange Is the New Black.
- The House on Carroll Street (1988) - Dionysus
- Double Exposure: The Story of Margaret Bourke-White (TV Movie, 1989) - Lloyd-Smith
- Love or Money (1990) - Dudley
- A League of Their Own (1992) - Western Union Delivery Man
- Bob Roberts (1992) - Bart Macklerooney
- Dennis The Menace (1993) - Henry Mitchell
- The Cosby Mysteries (TV movie, 1994) - Medical Examiner John Chapman
- Don't Drink the Water (1994 film) (TV movie, 1994) - Mr. Burns
- Striptease (1996) - Erb Crandal
- Washington Square (1997) - Arthur Townsend
- Hudson River Blues (1997) - Jeff
- Red Corner (1997) - Ed Pratt
- Next Stop Wonderland (1998) - Robert
- Mercury Rising (1998) - Dean Crandell
- Happy Accidents (2000) - Fetishist
- The Quiet American (2002) - Joe Tunney
- Head of State (2003) - Advisor
- The Stepford Wives (2004) - Ted Van Sant
- Find Me Guilty (2005) - Chris Newberger
- The Convention (short film, 2006) - Good Samaritan
- Gigantic (2008) - James Weathersby
- Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009) - Derek Smeath
- Arthur and the Revenge of Maltazard (French: Arthur et la vengeance de Maltazard, also known in English as Arthur and the Invisibles 2 or simply Arthur 2 as well as Arthur and the Great Adventure for its UK re-release) (2009) - Armand Montgomery
- Arthur 3: The War of the Two Worlds (French: Arthur et la guerre des deux mondes, also known in English as Arthur and the Invisibles 3 or simply Arthur 3 as well as Arthur and the Great Adventure for its UK re-release) (2010) - Armand Montgomery
- True Story (2014) - Jeffrey Gregg
- Law & Order (1991) - Jed Knox (episode "The Wages of Love", 1991)
- The Cosby Mysteries (1994-1995) - Medical Examiner John Chapman
- Central Park West (also known as C.P.W.) (1995) - Tom Chasen (episodes "Lunar Eclipse", "With the Weapons of a Mrs.", 1995)
- Cosby (1996-1997) - Mr. Acker (episode "Tempus Lucas", " Social Insecurity", 1996-1997)
- Law & Order (1997) - Jacob Sutter (episode "Harvest", 1997)
- Frasier (1998) - Ben (episode "The Zoo Story", 1998)
- Ed (2000) - Arthur Daily (episode "Just Friends", 2000)
- Third Watch (2001) - Donald Simkins (episode "Duty", 2001)
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2002) - Dennis Griscom (episode "The Third Horseman", 2002)
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (2003) - P.B.A. Representative (episode "Rotten", 2003)
- Law & Order (2003) - Tim Grayson (episode "Seer", 2003)
- The Brotherhood of Poland, New Hampshire (2003) - Dr. Patz (episode "Secrets and Lies", 2003)
- Jonny Zero (2005) - Stuart (episode "Bounty", 2005)
- Law & Order (2006) - Douglas Preston (episode "Avatar", 2006)
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2010) as Mr. Nower, School Official (episode "Three-in-One", 2010)
- Damages (2011) as Pastor Stephen Yates (episode "Next One's on Me, Blondie", 2011)
- NYC 22 (2012) as Steve Cowan (episode "Jumpers", 2012)
- The Good Wife (2013) as Hugh Saxon (episode "Going for the Gold", 2013)
- Orange Is the New Black (2013) as Maury Kind (episodes "Tall Men with Feelings", "Fucksgiving", 2013)
- Manhunt (video game, 2003) - Smilies (voice only)
- Bully (video game, 2006) - Mr Galloway (voice only)
- Robert Stanton at the Internet Movie Database
- Robert Stanton at the Internet Broadway Database
- Robert Stanton at the Internet Off-Broadway Database