|Bishop of Durham|
|See||Diocese of Durham|
|Elected||30 September 1260|
|Term ended||4 August 1274|
|Predecessor||Walter of Kirkham|
|Successor||Robert of Holy Island|
|Consecration||13 February 1261
by Godfrey Ludham
|Died||4 August 1274|
Robert Stitchill (sometimes Robert Stichel; died 1274) was a medieval Bishop of Durham in England.
Stitchill probably came from the village of Stichill in Roxburghshire. His father was a priest, and may have been the William Scot who was elected to the see of Durham in 1226. William Scot was never confirmed as bishop, for his election was quashed by Pope Gregory IX in 1227. Stitchill was a monk at Durham Cathedral and prior of a monastic cell at Finchale before he was elected to the see of Durham on 30 September 1260. His dispensation for his illegitimate birth had already been obtained from the pope. He was consecrated bishop on 13 February 1261 at Southwell by Godfrey Ludham, the Archbishop of York.
While bishop, Stitchill gave 1,300 acres (5.3 km2) of land to the monks of his cathedral chapter for their support, as well as books and other gifts. However, there were disputes with the monks over the retirement of their prior, and also over the right of the bishop to oversee the affairs of the chapter. He also founded a hospital at Greatham that survived into the modern age. He defended the rights of the bishop to the palatinate of Durham, securing a number of court decisions that upheld the palatinate rights of the bishop.
Stitchill attended the Second Council of Lyon in 1274, where he obtained the permission of Pope Gregory X to resign his see. He died on 4 August 1274 near Lyons, before he was able to return to Durham to resign. He was buried at Savigny Abbey, although his heart was sent to Durham to be buried there.
- Piper "Stichill, Robert of" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Greenway Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 2: Monastic Cathedrals (Northern and Southern Provinces): Durham: Bishops
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 242
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Greenway, Diana E. (1971). Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1066-1300: Volume 2: Monastic Cathedrals (Northern and Southern Provinces): Durham: Bishops. Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 25 October 2007.
- Piper, A. J. (2004). "Stichill, Robert of (d. 1274)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography ((subscription or UK public library membership required)) . Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/26522. Retrieved 2 February 2008.
|Catholic Church titles|
Walter of Kirkham
|Bishop of Durham
Robert of Holy Island