From 1990 to 2002 Storr was Curator, becoming Senior Curator, in the Department of Painting and Sculpture at the Museum of Modern Art. From 2002 to 2006 he was the first Rosalie Solow Professor of Modern Art at the Institute of Fine Arts, New York University. He is considered to be one of the most influential Americans in the art world.
Storr has been described as a "vital link between the museum world and academia" and "a gifted writer".
Over the years, Storr has written for the following publications: Art in America, Artforum, Art Press, New York Times, Washington Post, Village Voice, Art & Design, Interview, etc. His regular column 'View from the Bridge' appears in Frieze magazine.
Storr's published writings encompass 289 works in 390 publications in 12 languages and 18,002 library holdings.
- How to Look: Ad Reinhardt Art Comics, 2013
- In direzione ostinata e contraria: scritti sull'arte contemporanea, 2011
- September: A History Painting by Gerhardt Richter, 2009
- Gerhardt Richter: the Cage Paintings, 2009
- Think with the senses, feel with the mind: art in the present tense, 2007
- Elizabeth Murray, 2005
- Popped Art, 2005
- Touching Down Lightly, 2005
- Disparities & Deformations: Our Grotesque, 2004
- Louise Bourgeois, 2003
- Gerhard Richter: Doubt and Belief in Painting, 2003
- Nancy Spero : The War Series, 1966-1970, 2003
- Gerhard Richter: Forty Years of Painting, 2002
- Philip Pearlstein Since 1983, 2002
- Modern Art Despite Modernism, 2000
- Gerhard Richter : October 18, 1977
- On the edge : contemporary art from the Werner and Elaine Dannheisser collection, 1998
- Chuck Close, 1998
- Franz West, 1997
- Bruce Nauman, 1995
- Between a rock and a hard place, 1994
- Robert Ryman, 1993
- Devil on the Stairs: Looking Back on the Eighties, 1991
- Dislocations, 1991
- Art, censorship and the First Amendment: this is not a test, 1991
- Philip Guston, 1986
- Tilted Arc: Enemy of the People?, 1985
- 'Three to Receive Honorary Degrees at Commencement 2008', Swarthmore College News and Information, undated. Retrieved 18 May 2008.
- 'The Most Influential Americans in Art', New York Magazine, 7 May 2006. Retrieved 6 December 2007.
- 'Yale University press release', undated. Retrieved 6 December 2007.
- International Foundation for Art Research, about IFAR
- WorldCat Identities: Robert Storr
- Form/Space Atelier Exhibits Robert Storr's Autograph And Other Work 
- Watch Chuck Close and Robert Storr in Conversation on BUniverse
- Venice Bienniale website, English version.
- "The Most Influential Americans in Art", in New York magazine, accessed 5 October 2006.
- "Critic, artist and curator Robert Storr named Dean of the Yale School of Art". Yale University press release, February 28, 2006.