|Robert E. Svoboda|
Texas, United States
|Occupation||Author, ayurvedic doctor|
Robert Edwin Svoboda (born 1953) is an American author and ayurvedic doctor who gives lectures and courses around the world, related to the subjects of ayurveda, jyotish, tantra and Eastern religion. He is author of eleven books, including Prakriti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution (1989), and the Aghora trilogy (1986, 1993, 1997) about his mentor, Vimalananda, and the Aghori sect.
He also maintains a private consulting practice with clients in the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia and India. Svoboda is the first Westerner to graduate from a college of ayurveda (in 1980) and be licensed to practice ayurveda in India.
 Early life and education
Svoboda graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 1972 with a B.S. (major in Chemistry, minor in French). In 1973, he moved to India and stayed on for another 10 years. During this time he met his mentor Vimalananda and joined Tilak Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, an ayuvedic college in Pune. In 1980, he graduated from Pune University with a Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS), receiving the title Ayurvedacharya. Author and ayurvedic physician Dr. Vasant Lad was one of his teachers there.
During and after his formal ayurvedic training he was tutored in ayurveda, yoga, jyotish, tantra and allied subjects by his mentor, Vimalananda. Svoboda also served as Vimalananda's "Authorized Racing Agent" (thoroughbred horses) at the Royal Western India Turf Club in Mumbai and Pune between 1975 and 1985. He lived in India between 1973 and 1980 and again between 1982 and 1986.
 Grants and awards
Svoboda received both the National Merit Scholarship and University of Oklahoma Merit Scholarship in 1970; the U.S. Office of Education Scholarship in 1973; National Endowment for the Humanities Youthgrant in 1975; and the Marsden Foundation Grant in 1978.
 Professional experience
Since 1985, Svoboda travels the world lecturing, consulting, teaching and writing. He serves as adjunct faculty at the Ayurvedic Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Dinacharya Institute, New York, New York and Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington. Svoboda authored the new entry on ayurveda for Encyclopædia Britannica, 2000. He sits as an advisor for the National Ayurvedic Medical Association as well as the California Association of Ayurvedic Medicine.
- Aghora: At the Left Hand of God, Brotherhood of Life; 1986. ISBN 0-914732-21-8.
- Aghora II: Kundalini, Brotherhood of Life; 1993. ISBN 0-914732-31-5.
- Ayurveda: Life, Health, and Longevity, Penguin; 1993. ISBN 1-883725-09-7.
- Tao and Dharma: Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda, (co-author: Arnie Lade) Lotus Press; 1st ed edition, 1995. ISBN 0-914955-21-7.
- Hidden Secret of Ayurveda, Ayurvedic Press; 1996. ISBN 1-883725-04-6.
- Aghora III: The Law of Karma, Brotherhood of Life; 1997. ISBN 0-914732-37-4.
- The Greatness of Saturn, Lotus Press; 2nd edition, 1997. ISBN 1-57178-032-7.
- Prakriti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution, Lotus Press; 2nd Rev ed. 1998. ISBN 81-208-1185-2.
- Ayurveda for Women: A Guide to Vitality and Health, Healing Arts Press; 2000. ISBN 1-899434-14-3.
- Light on Relationships: The Synastry of Indian Astrology (co-author: Hart de Fouw) Weiser Books; 2000, ISBN 1-57863-148-3.
- Light on Life: An Introduction to the Astrology of India, (co-author: Hart de Fouw) Lotus Press; New Ed edition, 2003. ISBN 0-14-019507-6.
- Vastu: Breathing Life into Space, (contributor: Satya Moses) Namarupa Publications, Dublin; First Ed edition, 2013. ISBN 0988916908, 9780988916906.
- Varanasi: The City of Light (Audio CD). Soundwalk/Namarupa, 2005, ISBN 0-9764061-0-1.
- Meet the Innovators Lifestyle, yogajournal.com.
- The AGHORA Trilogy brotherhoodoflife.com.
- Svoboda, Robert. Curriculum Vitae. Retrieved April 11, 2007.
- Svoboda, Robert (1992). Ayurveda - Life, Health and Longevity. ARKANA-Penguin Books.
- Sitting Down With Dr. Robert E. Svoboda layogamagazine.com, January/February 2003.
- Interview with Robert Svoboda yogajournal.com.
- Background Svobda at ayurveda-berkeley.com.
- "Dinaharya Faculty". Dinacharya Institute.
- "NAMA (Advisors)". National Ayurvedic Medical Association.
- "CAAM Advisors". California Association of Ayurvedic Medicine.