Robert W. Firestone
|Robert W. Firestone|
|Born||September 8, 1930
Brooklyn, New York
|Institutions||The Glendon Association;|
|Alma mater||University of Denver|
Firestone received his Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the University of Denver. In his doctoral dissertation, A Concept of the Schizophrenic Process (1957), Firestone postulated that schizophrenics rely on internal, fantasized "self-mothering" as a replacement for secure external interpersonal relationships. He later expanded and generalized this line of thought to describe what he called the "core defense" (for non-schizophrenics) in his theory of "the fantasy bond." Firestone also attended University of Syracuse and in 1951 graduated from the University of Berkley.
Firestone worked as a clinical psychologist in private practice from 1957 to 1979. Since 1979, Firestone has been affiliated with the Glendon Association. Firestone is also a contributing psychologist to www.PsychAlive.org. Firestone developed the Firestone Assessment of Self-destructive Thoughts (FAST), a scale that assesses suicide potential, the Firestone Assessment of Violent Thoughts (FAVT), a test that examines violent thoughts that can lead to violent behaviors, and the Firestone Assessment of Suicidal Intent (FASI), which examines how a person's internal dialogue puts them at risk for suicidal behaviors.
- Firestone, R.W., The fantasy bond: Structure of psychological defenses (1985), Santa Barbara, CA: Glendon Association (originally Human Sciences Press)
- Firestone, R.W., Voice Therapy: A psychotherapeutic approach to self-destructive behavior. (1988), Santa Barbara, CA: Glendon Association (originally Human Sciences Press)
- Firestone, R.W. & Catlett, J., Psychological defenses in everyday life (1989), Santa Barbara, CA: Glendon Association (originally Human Sciences Press)
- Firestone, R.W., Compassionate child-rearing: An in-depth approach to optimal parenting (1990), Santa Barbara, CA: Glendon Association (originally Plenum)
- Firestone, R.W., Combating destructive thought processes: Voice Therapy and separation theory (1997), Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
- Firestone, R.W., Suicide and the inner voice: Risk assessment, treatment, and case management (1997), Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
- Firestone, R.W. & Catlett, J., Fear of Intimacy (1999), Washington, DC: American Psychological Association
- Firestone, R.W., Firestone, L. & Catlett, J., Conquer Your Critical Inner Voice (2002), Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications
- Firestone, R.W., Firestone, L. & Catlett, J., Creating a life of meaning and compassion: The wisdom of psychotherapy (2003), Washington, DC: American Psychological Association
- Firestone, R.W., Firestone, L. & Catlett, J., Sex and Love in Intimate Relationships (2006), Washington, DC: American Psychological Association
- Firestone, R.W. and Catlett, J., The Ethics of Interpersonal Relationships (2009), London: Karnac Books
- Firestone, R.W. and Catlett, J., Beyond Death Anxiety: Achieving Life-Affirming Death Awareness (2009), New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company
- R. D. Laing
- Lisa Firestone
- The Glendon Association
- Firestone Assessment of Violent Thoughts
- Fantasy Bond
- "On the cover: Schizophrenia". 2002-04-15. Retrieved 2009-07-05.
- Firestone, Robert W. (1990). "Prescription for psychotherapy". Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training 27 (4): 627–635. doi:10.1037/0033-322.214.171.1247.
- "Glendon Association Staff". The Glendon Association. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Nous vous offrons un choix de plus de 500 tests provenant de 30 éditeurs" [We offer a choice of over 500 tests from 30 editors]. Institut de recherches psychologiques (in French). Archived from the original on 26 August 2011. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Firestone, Robert; Firestone, Lisa. Firestone Assessment of Violent Thoughts. 16204 N. Florida Avenue, Lutz, FL 33549-8119, US: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Firestone, Lisa (13 April 2010). "The Inner Voice that Drives Suicide". Psychology Today. Archived from the original on 12 October 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- The Human Experience Firestone's blog at Psychology Today
- The Art of RW Firestone official website for Firestone's art
- A cooler head prevails 1999 interview with Robert Firestone about marriage counseling
- Ethics of Interpersonal Relationships official website for the 2009 book
- Beyond Death Anxiety official website for the 2009 book