Robert Woodrow Wilson
- For the American president, see Woodrow Wilson.
|Robert Woodrow Wilson (left) with Arno Allan Penzias|
January 10, 1936 |
Houston, Texas, USA
|Alma mater||California Institute of Technology|
|Known for||Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation|
|Notable awards||Henry Draper Medal (1977)
Nobel Prize in Physics (1978)
Robert Woodrow Wilson (born January 10, 1936) is an American astronomer, 1978 Nobel laureate in physics, who with Arno Allan Penzias discovered in 1964 the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB). The award purse was also shared with a third scientist, Pyotr Leonidovich Kapitsa, for unrelated work.
While working on a new type of antenna at Bell Labs in Holmdel Township, New Jersey, they found a source of noise in the atmosphere that they could not explain. After removing all potential sources of noise, including pigeon droppings on the antenna, the noise was finally identified as CMB, which served as important corroboration of the Big Bang theory.
Life and work
Robert Woodrow Wilson was born on January 10, 1936, in Houston, Texas. He graduated from Lamar High School in River Oaks, in Houston, and studied as an undergraduate at Rice University, also in Houston, where he was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa society. His graduate work was done at California Institute of Technology.
In 2014, Wilson delivered a lecture on his discovery of the cosmic microwave background radiation at the Starmus Festival in the Canary Islands.
- Penzias, A.A.; Wilson, R.W. (1965). "A Measurement of Excess Antenna Temperature at 4080 Mc/s". Astrophysical Journal 142: 419–421. Bibcode:1965ApJ...142..419P. doi:10.1086/148307.
- "Distinguished HISD Alumni," Houston Independent School District
- "Henry Draper Medal". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- Nobel Lectures, Physics 1971-1980, Editor Stig Lundqvist, World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, 1992. Autobiography. Accessed March 15, 2011. "We still live in the house in Holmdel which we bought when I first came to Bell Laboratories."
- "Distinguished HISD Alumni", Houston Independent School District, Houston, Texas, 2008.
- Cite Video | BBC/WGBH BOSTON | NOVA #519 | A Whisper From Space | Copyright 1978 | Available With Permission | Consolidated Aircraft - Ronkonkoma, New York
- Robert Woodrow Wilson: Official Nobel page
- Annotated bibliography for Robert Wilson from the Alsos Digital Library for Nuclear Issues