Robert de Chauncy
|Robert de Chauncy|
|Bishop of Carlisle|
|See||Diocese of Carlisle|
|Elected||circa 12 February 1257|
|Term ended||October 1278|
|Successor||William de Rotherfeld|
|Other posts||Archdeacon of Bath|
|Consecration||14 April 1258|
Robert de Chuancy (or Robert de Chaury, Robert Chaury, or Robert Chause; died 1278) was a medieval Bishop of Carlisle.
Chauncy's family probably came from Chawreth in Essex, from which he took his name. Beyond the fact that he was illegitimate, nothing else is known of his background. He was probably controller of the queen's wardrobe for Queen Eleanor by April 1243. He was named rector of Badsworth on 26 January 1255 and was named as Archdeacon of Bath between 26 January 1255 and 22 January 1257
Following the death of Thomas Vipont, the cathedral chapter of Carlisle Cathedral first elected Robert of St Agatha, who refused the office. The chapter then elected Chauncy, who was a royal clerk as well as holding the above ecclesiastical offices. He was elected to the see of Carlisle about 12 February 1257, and consecrated on 14 April 1258. He received a dispensation for illegitimacy from Pope Alexander IV on 19 June 1257.
Chauncy remained in the king's service, and went with the king to France in 1259. He was also with the king when Henry was held captive by Simon de Montfort in 1264. However, he never gained the favor of King Edward I, Henry's successor, although he served for two years at the start of his reign as Sheriff of Cumberland. Chauncy was active in the affairs of his diocese, working to improve the morals of the laity and the clergy alike. He died in September or October 1278. He was buried in Carlisle Cathedral, and his tomb survived the fire in that church in 1292.
- Summerson "Chaury, Robert (d. 1278) and Thomas Vipont (d. 1256)" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- British History Online Archdeacons of Bath
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 235
- British History Online Bishops of Carlisle
- British History Online Archdeacons of Bath accessed on 20 October 2007
- British History Online Bishops of Carlisle accessed on 20 October 2007
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Summerson, Henry. "Chaury, Robert (d. 1278) and Thomas Vipont (d. 1256)" ((subscription or UK public library membership required)). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (October 2007 revised ed.). Oxford University Press,. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/95124. Retrieved 20 November 2007.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of Carlisle
William de Rotherfeld