Professor Roberta Gilchrist FBA,FSA (born 1965) is a British archaeologist, who is Professor of Archaeology at the University of Reading. She gained her PhD in medieval archaeology from the University of York after moving from Canada, and specialises in the archaeology of the medieval period in the UK, especially in relation to the archaeology of religion, and the archaeology of gender. She is a Fellow of the British Academy and a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London.
Her professional and academic roles have included being Archaeologist to Norwich Cathedral, and President of the Society for Medieval Archaeology.
- (ed. with H. Mytum) The Archaeology of Rural Monasteries. Oxford: British Archaeological Reports (BAR 203), 1989.
- (with M. Oliva) Religious women in medieval East Anglia. Norwich : Centre of East Anglian Studies, 1993.
- (ed. with H. Mytum) Advances in monastic archaeology: Conference on urban monasteries. Oxford: Tempus Reperatum, 1993.
- Gender and Material Culture: the archaeology of religious women. London: Routledge, 1994.
- Contemplation and Action: the other monasticism. Leicester: Leicester University Press, 1995.
- Gender and Archaeology: Contesting the Past. London: Routledge, 1999.
- (ed. with D. Gaimster) The archaeology of Reformation. London: Maneys, 2003.
- (with B. Sloane) Requiem: the Medieval Monastic Cemetery in Britain. London: Museum of London Archaeological Service, 2005
- Norwich Cathedral Close: the Evolution of the English Cathedral Landscape. Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer, 2005.
- Medieval Life: Archaeology and the Life Course. Woodbridge: Boydell and Brewer, 2012.