|Born||1953 (age 60–61)
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Awards||Inkpot Award, 1994|
Gregory's father was Disney comics writer and artist Bob Gregory. Educated at the California State University, Long Beach, she began her career in 1974 by publishing comics in the influential all-female Wimmen's Comix anthologies and in other '70s underground comix, and created the strip Feminist Funnies. In 1976, she published the first issue of a feminist comic book, Dynamite Damsels, which Gregory considered to be the first regulation-sized comic book to be published by one woman.
Bitchy Bitch, who debuted in 1989, is Midge McCracken, a woman angry at the world who frequently explodes with rage. Gregory told stories from all parts of Bitchy's life (including one set in the Middle Ages) in the 40-issue series Naughty Bits, which was published by Fantagraphics from 1991 to 2004. Bitchy Bitch's lesbian counterpart is Bitchy Butch. Starting in 1999, Bitchy Bitch was featured in Life's a Bitch, an animated series that was shown on the Oxygen Network in the U.S. and on The Comedy Network in Canada.
Gregory has contributed to a number of comic anthologies, including Robert Kirby's Strange Looking Exile. As well, she is one of the contributors to Free to Fight, the interactive self-defense project for women. Gregory has received several Eisner Award nominations in the humor, best short story, best writer, and best writer/artist categories. In 1994 she was given an Inkpot Award by Comic-Con International.
Gregory currently lives in Seattle, Washington, where she has lived since relocating from California in 1989.
Comics & graphic novels
- Dynamite Damsels (1976) - 1,2
- Sheila and the Unicorn (1988)
- Winging It (1988)
- Winging It 2 (1999)
- Artistic Licentiousness (91-94) - 1-3
- Naughty Bits (Fantagraphics 1991-2004) - issues 1-40
- A Bitch is Born (1994)
- As Naughty as She Wants to Be (1995)
- At Work and Play with Bitchy Bitch (1996) - material from NB 10-14
- Bitchy's College Daze (1997) - stories from NB 15-19
- Bitchy Butch: World's Angriest Dyke (1999) - stories from NB 21,23,26,and stories from Gay Comix
- Burn Bitchy Burn (2002)
- Life's a Bitch (2005) - first half of Bitchy stories plus one new story
- Bitchy Strips One Shot (2001) - collection of weekly strips previously printed in newspapers
- Official website
- Roberta Gregory on Twitter
- Lambiek Comiclopedia: Roberta Gregory
- Roberta Gregory interview
- Roberta Gregory at the Comic Book DB