||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2008)|
Roberta McCain at the 1992 launching of USS John S. McCain (DDG-56)
February 7, 1912
Muskogee, Oklahoma, United States
|Known for||Widow of Admiral John S. McCain, Jr.
Mother of U.S. Senator and former Presidential Candidate John McCain
|Spouse(s)||John S. McCain, Jr. (deceased)|
Roberta Wright McCain (born February 7, 1912) is the widow of Admiral John S. McCain, Jr. (married from 1933 to 1981, his death) and mother of the Republican Arizona Senator and two-time Presidential candidate John S. McCain III.
Roberta Wright and her twin sister, Rowena (1912-2011), were born in Muskogee, Oklahoma on February 7, 1912. Her parents, Archibald Wright (1876–1971), a Los Angeles oil wildcatter, and Myrtle Fletcher (1885–1972), were married in Cleburne, Texas, on June 18, 1901.
On January 21, 1933, she eloped to Tijuana, Mexico with a naval ensign, later to become four-star Admiral John S. McCain, Jr. in Caesar's Bar. She became the daughter-in-law of Admiral John S. McCain, Sr., a noted World War II carrier admiral, under Fleet Admiral William Halsey.
Her son, John, was held as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam for five and a half years. When notified upon his release on March 15, 1973, that he had shouted expletives at his captors, Mrs. McCain's response was, "Johnny, I'm going to come over there and wash your mouth out with soap."
John McCain has said of his mother: "My mother was raised to be a strong, determined woman who thoroughly enjoyed life, and always tried to make the most of her opportunities. She was encouraged to accept, graciously and with good humor, the responsibilities and sacrifices her choices have required of her. I am grateful to her for the strengths she taught me by example."
McCain campaigned during her son's 2008 presidential campaign, and remains active despite her advanced age. On October 22, 2009, she was hospitalized in Portugal after she fell and injured her head.
- McCain, John. "Shaping Character and Destinies: John McCain". NPR. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- "Sen. McCain’s mother hospitalized in Portugal – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs". Politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com. 2009-10-23. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- McCain's Mother, CNN, February 28, 2000.
- Shaping Character and Destinies: John McCain, National Public Radio, by Terry Gross, December 6, 2005.
- McCain highlights mother's age on Mother's Day May 14, 2007.
- Play of the Day: McCain's Mom on Mormons, November 9, 2007
- Ancestry of Sen. John McCain
- "The Firecracker", Style.com (condensed version of article for Vogue). August 2008.