||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
Roberto Battiti (2010)
|Alma mater||University of Trento|
|Doctoral advisor||Geoffrey C. Fox|
|Known for||Reactive Search Optimization|
|Notable awards||Fellow of the IEEE|
Roberto Battiti is full professor of computer science at Trento University, deputy director of the DISI Department (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) and delegate for technology transfer.
He received the Laurea degree in Physics from the University of Trento, Italy, in 1985 and the Ph.D. in Computation and Neural Systems from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), USA in 1990. His main research interests are heuristic algorithms for problem-solving, in particular Reactive Search Optimization, which aims at embodying solvers with internal machine learning techniques, data mining and visualization. Roberto Battiti became Fellow of the IEEE (2009), "for contributions to machine learning techniques for intelligent optimization and neural networks", is author of highly cited publications, and he is one of the co-founders of the startup Reactive Search SrL.
He wrote the book Reactive Business Intelligence. From Data to Models to Insight. (with Mauro Brunato), about integrating data mining, modeling and interactive visualization, into an end-to-end discovery and continuous innovation process powered by human and automated learning. His ideas form the basis of the Grapheur and LIONsolver software.
See also 
- Battiti, Roberto; Mauro Brunato (2011). Reactive Business Intelligence. From Data to Models to Insight.. Trento, Italy: Reactive Search Srl. ISBN 978-88-905795-0-9.
- Battiti, Roberto; Andrea Passerini (2010). "Brain-Computer Evolutionary Multi-Objective Optimization (BC-EMO): a genetic algorithm adapting to the decision maker." (PDF). IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 14 (15): 671–687. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2010.2058118
- Battiti, Roberto; Mauro Brunato; Franco Mascia (2008). Reactive Search and Intelligent Optimization. Springer Verlag. ISBN 978-0-387-09623-0.
- Battiti, Roberto; Gianpietro Tecchiolli (1995). "Training neural nets with the reactive tabu search" (PDF). IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks 6 (5): 1185–1200. doi:10.1109/72.410361. PMID 18263407
- Battiti, Roberto; Gianpietro Tecchiolli (1994). "The reactive tabu search" (PDF). ORSA Journal on Computing 6 (2): 126–140
- Battiti, Roberto (1992). "First- and second-order methods for learning: Between steepest descent and newton's method" (PDF). Neural Computation 4 (2): 141–166. doi:10.1162/neco.1922.214.171.124
- Roberto Battiti, personal faculty page at the University of Trento. Accessed on 2010-3-20.
- "Fellow Class of 2009". IEEE. Retrieved January 5, 2011.
- Roberto Battiti and Mauro Brunato, Reactive Business Intelligence. From Data to Models to Insight, Reactive Search Srl, Italy, February 2011. ISBN 978-88-905795-0-9.