Roberto Clemente Community Academy
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
|Roberto Clemente Community Academy|
Our mission is to guide students to become lifelong learners who embrace diversity.
|1147 N. Western Avenue
Chicago, Illinois, 60622
|School type||Public Secondary|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Marcey Arlene Sorensen|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Roberto Clemente Community Academy (commonly known as Clemente, Roberto Clemente High School) is a public 4-year IB candidate high school located in the West Town neighborhood on the near north side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. It is operated by Chicago Public Schools. The school is named for Puerto Rican baseball player Roberto Clemente.
The school was opened in between the academic year of 1973-1974 and was named in honor of Roberto Clemente. It replaced Tuley High School. Clemente was one of 16 schools nation-wide selected by the College Board for inclusion in the EXCELerator School Improvement Model program beginning the 2007-2008 school year. The project was funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Clemente offers six Advanced Placement classes and is also an International Baccalaureate candidate school. Clemente also has vocational education programs that focus on culinary arts and radio/television broadcasting. The latter program is taught by a journalist from Chicago's WGN-AM radio station. In addition, students may participate in JROTC. In 2012, 92.6% of Clemente freshmen were classified as on-track to graduate.
Clemente competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL) and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). The boys' baseball team were public league champions 9 times (1973-74, 1978-79, 1980-81, 1981-82, 1987-88, 1988-89, 1994-95, 1996-97 and 2001-02).
- Victor Diaz, Former MLB player (New York Mets, Texas Rangers)
- Ramon Ocasio III- 6th Judicial Subcircuit Judge, Cook County, Illinois and former President of the Puerto Rican Bar Association of Illinois
- "High School Code Search". College Board. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- Clemente High School. cps.edu. Retrieved on August 26, 2011.
- "Chicago Public Schools: Clemente". Chicago Public Schools. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Chicago (Clemente)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 31 December 2009. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- "Institution Summary for RCCA". AdvacedED profile. North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- Dominic Pacyga. Chicago: City of Neighborhoods. Loyola University Press, 1986. 195.
- RCCA IB School. Retrieved on July 26, 2013.
- Roberto Clemente Community Academy brochure. Retrieved on July 26, 2013.
- RCCA JROTC. Retrieved on July 26, 2013.
- IHSA: Clemente (Chicago)