Roberts Elementary School (Houston)
|Roberts Elementary School|
Houston, Texas 77030
|School type||Elementary School|
|Grades||Pre K to 5th|
|Color(s)||Red and Blue, with shades of Black and Yellow|
Oran M. Roberts Elementary School is a primary school in Houston, Texas, United States. Roberts serves grades pre-K through 5 and is a part of the Houston Independent School District. Roberts has Houston ISD's fine arts magnet. Roberts is inside the 610 Loop and serves the Southgate, Old Braeswood, and Morningside Place neighborhoods, as well as other neighborhoods in and around the Texas Medical Center.
Rice Village and Morningside Square, two Rice University graduate housing complexes that admit families, are zoned to this school. Residents of the Texas Medical Center's Laurence H. Favrot Tower Apartments are zoned to Roberts.
Roberts was one of the first three elementary schools in Texas to offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme. In 1999 Katherine Feser of the Houston Chronicle said that the zoning to Roberts was one of the "selling points" of the Windermere subdivision in Morningside Place. In 2002 Feser said that the school was a "draw" for house buyers in Southgate.
Roberts opened in 1936. It was named after Oran Milo Roberts, former Governor of Texas. In 1948 the school received an addition. In April 2002 a group of area residents and parents of Roberts students began the Beautification, Inspiration, Education, Transformation program, a beautification campaign. In September 2003 the Office of the Mayor of Houston and the group "Keep Houston Beautiful' awarded the program a "Proud Partner award."
Feeder patterns 
Students zoned to Roberts go on to several middle schools:
- Students living west of South Main and south of University Boulevard, as well as students west of Fannin, north of Old Main, and south of University Boulevard are zoned to Pershing Middle School and have Pin Oak Middle School as an option.
- Students living north and west of Fannin and north of University Boulevard are zoned to Lanier Middle School.
- Students living east of Fannin, as well as students living east of South Main and south of Old Main, are zoned to Ryan Middle School.
- "Roberts Elementary Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District
- "Property Comparison." Rice University Graduate Housing. Retrieved on October 2, 2011. "Morningside Square Apartments Updated Oct 26, 2010 2401 & 2409 Shakespeare St Houston, TX 77030" and " Rice Village Apartments Updated Oct 26, 2010 2410 Shakespeare St Houston, TX 77030"
- "Roberts Elementary School Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District. Retrieved on October 2, 2011.
- "April 2005." Southgate News.
- Feser, Katherine. "Windermere has eclectic mix of homes." Houston Chronicle. Sunday October 31, 1999. Business 8. Retrieved on October 23, 2012.
- Feser, Katharine. "Southgate has great location, traditional feel." Houston Chronicle. Sunday January 6, 2002. Business 6. Retrieved on October 23, 2012.
- "School Histories: the Stories Behind the Names." Houston Independent School District. Accessed September 24, 2008.
- Dsp Rosen. "A learning environment, from the outside in / For school, parents and neighbors, Roberts' beautification is elementary." Houston Chronicle. Thursday October 23, 2003. ThisWeek1. Retrieved on October 23, 2012.
- "Pershing Middle Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District
- "Pin Oak Middle School." The Southwest District. Houston Independent School District.
- "Lanier Middle Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District
- "Ryan Middle Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District
- "Bellaire High School Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District
- "Lamar High School Attendance Zone." Houston Independent School District