French M. Robertson Unit
|Location||12071 FM 3522
Abilene, Texas 79601
|Security class||G1-G5, Administrative Segregation, Transient|
|Managed by||TDCJ Correctional Institutions Division|
The French M. Robertson Unit is a maximum-security state prison located on Farm to Market Road 3522 in Abilene, Texas, United States, 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Downtown Abilene in Jones County. The prison for males, classified as a "prison," is operated by the Correctional Institutions Division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, administered as within Region VI.
The Robertson Unit has space for 1,244 inmates in General Population, plus a large Administrative Segregation facility. The Unit has a large garment manufacturing facility, which makes garments for several other State and local corrections facilities. Also notable, is the Robertson Unit's kennel of tracking dogs, and horses for mounted operations.
Beginning in September 2010, the prison serves as a regional release unit for prisoners exiting the TDCJ.
The unit opened in November 1992.
In 1996 a prison guard fired a bullet, which he described as a "warning" shot, towards an inmate that he said was running from an outside work squad. The bullet hit the inmate between the eyes, killing him. No outside investigation occurred. The Robertson warden declared the "Officer of the Year" award over, giving it to the guard who shot the prisoner.
- Colton Pitonyak, perpetrator of the Murder of Jennifer Cave
- James Richard "Ricky" Thompson Jr., perpetrator of the Murder of John Goosey and Stacy Barnett
- "Robertson Unit." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on July 23, 2010.
- "Super Neighborhood Areas." (Direct map link) City of Abilene. Retrieved on July 23, 2010.
- Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice (2004). Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Turner Publishing Company. p. 107. ISBN 1-56311-964-1. "The unit was named after French M. Robertson, an Abilene lawyer and oilman."
- "New regional release centers now operating across state." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. September–October 2010. Retrieved on March 1, 2011.
- Renaud, Jorge Antonio. "Living Quarters." Behind the Walls: A Guide for Families and Friends of Texas Prison Inmates. University of North Texas Press, 2002. xiii. (PDF 11/25) Retrieved on May 23, 2010. ISBN 1-57441-153-5, ISBN 978-1-57441-153-9.
- "Pitonyak, Colton Aaron." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on January 9, 2014.
- "Case No. D-1-OC-05-301918-A." (Archive) Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. Posted by the Austin American-Statesman. Retrieved on February 18, 2013.
- "Thompson, James R III." [sic] Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on February 17, 2013.