|Birth name||Robin Packalen|
August 24, 1998 |
|Years active||2008 – present|
|Labels||Universal Music Finland|
Robin Packalen (born August 24, 1998 in Turku, Finland), better known by his stage name Robin, is a Finnish singer and teen pop artist. His 2012 album Chillaa and 2013 album Boom Kah topped the Finnish Albums Chart. During his relatively short career, Robin's certified albums and singles have sold over 280,000 copies, which makes him one of the 70 best-selling artists of all-time in his country.
2008–09: Staraskaba and New Wave Junior Contest
In 2008, Robin won the Finnish nationwide singing contest for youth, Staraskaba, when he was just 10. In 2009, he represented Finland at the New Wave Junior Contest in Moscow, which was followed by about 100 million viewers.
On 16 January 2012, Robin, described as "The Justin Bieber of Finland" by his label, released his first official single "Frontside Ollie". It enjoyed instant success, huge following online, and based on digital downloads debuted at number five on the Finnish Singles Chart. The single topped the charts in its second and third week of release staying at the top for 2 consecutive weeks. After falling from the top, it came back to the top a second time, spending yet two more consecutive weeks at number 1, giving it a total of 4 weeks at the top. Based on the success of the single, on 22 February 2012, Koodi, the debut album of Robin was released. It sold over 100,000 records in Finland, making it quintuple platinum. The album includes singles "Frontside Ollie", "Faija skitsoo" and "Hiljainen tyttö".
On October 5, 2012 he released his second studio album Chillaa. The album topped the Finnish Albums Chart right after being published and its first single "Puuttuva palanen" received nearly three and a half million YouTube views before the beginning of February 2013. "Puuttuva palanen" features Brädi, a Finnish rap artist who tells a story about his youth. Some of the listeners have pointed out how Brädi's part is strongly similar to "Baby" by Justin Bieber, featuring Ludacris. The album also includes the singles "Luupilla mun korvissa" and "Haluan sun palaavan".
2013: Boom Kah
On August 30, 2013 he released "Boom Kah", featuring Mikael Gabriel and Uniikki, as the lead single from his third studio album Boom Kah. The song peaked at number 4 on the Finnish Singles Charts. On October 2, 2013 he released the album Boom Kah, which also topped the Finnish Albums Chart. The chart topping second single, "Erilaiset", was released on October 16, 2013. On February 7th Robin released the music video to his newest single "Onnellinen" and not two months later, on the April 25th, the a music video for "Tilttaamaan" was released.
|2014||Ra.One||Prateek/Lucifer||Finnish and Estonian voice-dub|
- The first is the list of Robin's certified recordings, the four others are lists of best-selling albums and singles of all time in Finland:
- "Robin" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Kaikkien aikojen myydyimmät kotimaiset albumit" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Kaikkien aikojen myydyimmät ulkomaiset albumit" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Kaikkien aikojen myydyimmät kotimaiset singlet" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Kaikkien aikojen myydyimmät ulkomaiset singlet" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Stara: Kymmenvuotias Robin Packalen Staraskaban voittajaksi
- Stara: Kuka ihmeen Robin? Hän on teini-idoli suomalaisen nettihitin taustalla (in Finnish)
- Turkulaispojan sinkusta nettihitti (in Finnish)
- "Robin: Frontside Ollie" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Hung, Steffen. "Discography Robin Packalen". Finnish Charts Portal. Hung Medien (Steffen Hung).
- YouTube: Robin - Puuttuva palanen feat. Brädi (lyrics in Finnish)
- Robin vs Bieber (in Finnish)