|How I Met Your Mother episode|
|Episode no.||Season 5
|Directed by||Pamela Fryman|
|Written by||Craig Thomas
|Original air date||October 5, 2009|
Christine Tonnu (Sandy)
Robin and Barney are officially girlfriend and boyfriend, but Barney is having trouble adjusting to couple life. He sneaks out of bed after sex as if it was a one-night stand, and when Robin has an awful day, he avoids consoling her, telling her to meet him afterwards for sex. After Robin protests, Barney makes more of an effort. When he begins acting evasively, Robin is afraid that Barney is cheating on her. She breaks into his briefcase and finds a notebook full of notes about her. Barney is taking night classes from Ted: “Robin 101: How to date Robin Scherbatsky”.
Marshall decides to get rid of a barrel he named Mabel that he used for years as a nightstand. He puts it in “The Bermuda Triangle”, otherwise known as the front step, and he waits anxiously by the window with his binoculars waiting to see who will take the barrel. So far, there are no takers.
In “Robin 101,” Ted teaches Barney which topics will distract Robin from being angry, which include hockey, guns and emperor penguins. He also teaches Barney about Robin's expressions and things to never do around her. At first, Barney plays the part of the distracted and bored student, but after Ted tests the knowledge he's given him, Barney asks him to stay. Unfortunately, Ted’s successful classes with Barney are interrupted when Robin finds out about the lessons and shows up for class. Robin gets angry and storms out.
Ted stops by MacLaren’s to talk to Robin, and he convinces Robin to give Barney another chance. Ted mentions how Barney usually tries to get rid of women after one night and tells Robin, “I’ve never seen him work this hard to keep a girl around”. The episode ends with Barney giving up his “Robin notebook”, and Marshall is upset because his barrel has still not been claimed.
- Marshall calls the curb in front of their building the “The Bermuda Triangle”.
- The classroom scene between Barney and Ted, references the films Dead Poets Society and The Karate Kid.
- Barney references sports commentator Andy Gray with the popular quote 'Take a bow, son' when congratulating Ted on his first class as a professor.
- In the classroom when Ted says, "How do I reach this kid" is a reference to Stand and Deliver.
- Barney uses the name "Barack Obama Jr" and says "and yes we can", referencing one of the popular slogans of Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.
Brian Zoromski of IGN gave the episode 8 out of 10.
- Donna Bowman (October 5, 2009). "How I Met Your Mother: "Robin 101"". The AV Club. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- Joel Keller (October 5, 2009). "How I Met Your Mother: Robin 101". aoltv.com. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- Brian Zoromski (October 6, 2009). "How I Met Your Mother: "Robin 101" Review". IGN. Retrieved August 21, 2014.