Robin Antin backstage during Los Angeles Fashion Week, Smashbox Studios – Culver City, CA (March 2008)
July 6, 1961 |
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Occupation||Actress, dancer, choreographer, music video director|
Robin Antin (born July 6, 1961) is an American dancer, choreographer, actress, and clothing designer entrepreneur. In 1995 she founded the modern burlesque troupe the Pussycat Dolls. By 2005, she diversified into various media including a pop recording group with international hits, a Las Vegas nightclub venue and floorshow, various merchandise, and a reality television series. In 2007, she created Girlicious.
As a choreographer, Antin worked with entertainers such as Paris Hilton, and artists such as Anastacia, Pink, the Offspring and No Doubt. Additionally, she was responsible for the dance ensembles in various films.
On January 2, 2010, Antin, Tony Selznick, and Paula Abdul presented choreography agent Julie McDonald with an award for being a pioneer of dance representation and a friend, helper, and agent to many choreographers for over 25 years. The award was presented at the The Carnival: Choreographer's Ball 11th Anniversary Show.
She was a judge on the Lifetime reality television show Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition in Season 1.
The Pussycat Dolls
Based in Las Vegas, it features a rotating cast of dancers around vocalist Jamie Preston. Current members include Hayley Zelniker, Amanda Nowak, Colby Lemmo and Alicia Blair. Former dolls include Rachel Sterling, who was also an original member of the burlesque troupe, Kelly Levesque, Laura Goulet, Michelle "Jersey" Maniscalco, Desiree Davis, Alicia Vela-Bailey, Mallory, Jen, Loreli, Victoria, Rosa, Marcea, Rita, Claude Racine, Natasha Vernase , Adriane Harper , Jessica Lea, Beverly Sizemore, Laura Diane, Ashley Gates, Bridget Nicole, Jennifer Affronti, Sheila Joy, Cindy Leos, Laurel Anderson, Angela Case, Meredith "Sevin" Kerr, Gina Katon and Jamie Lee Ruiz from The Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious.
The Pussycat Dolls Burlesque Review was founded in 2008 with Jamie Lee Ruiz, alongside Michelle "Jersey" Maniscalco, Jessi Peralta, Stephanie Moseley, Courtney Parker, Fransesca Ramirez, Alexis (Allie Steel), Molly D'Amour, and Jenny Robinson. Dani Levine, Kasia Moss, Vanessa Curry, guest dancer Chantal Hunt and Allarie Long . alongside lead singer Jaime Preston and dancers Tarin Pratt and Erica Kiehl Jenkins were later introduced.
The Pussycat Dolls Burlesque Saloon at Planet Hollywood, Las Vegas features Sophia Monica as lead vocalist. Current members include Sheila Joy, Megan Bostwick, Daymara Sabat, Colby Lemmo, Lauren Venandos, Emily Istre, Noelle Naone Brechler, Jenny Driebe, and Kaelee Jones. Former doll Jaime Lynch moved to Los Angeles to become the lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls Burlesque Revue.
Matt Goss and the Dirty Virgins
After becoming Goss's agent, Antin cast the Dirty Virgins, a Vegas-based girl former dance group consisting of Tala Marie, Emily Istre, Amber William, and Monteece Mask and new dancer include Veronica Collazo Marrero , Kaelee Jones , Teresa Antonette , Ashley Belle , Angela Acosta , Anna Sambeck to accompany Goss for his show. Along with them, she cast singers Mecca Madison and Angela Jude. From a style point of view they are very much like the original concept of the Pussycat Dolls.
Girlicious was an American girl group consisting of Nichole Cordova, Natalie Mejia, Chrystina Sayers and Tiffanie Anderson. In 2009, Anderson left the group and in 2011, Mejia and Sayers also confirmed their departure. Later, in October 2011, Cordova announced the band's hiatus. Then Cordova confirmed her departure and in April 2013, she became a member of the new group, Girls United. The second album of Girlicious, named Rebuilt, was released on November 22, 2010 in Canada. The girls were discovered by The Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious.
The Paradiso Girls were a girl group consisting of five members from different countries; Chelsea Korka (who appeared in the reality show The Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll) from the United States, Aria Cascaval from France, Lauren Bennett and Kelly Beckett from the United Kingdom and Shar Mae Amor from the Philippines. They are currently signed to will.i.am Music Group/Interscope Records. Their debut single "Patron Tequila" featuring Lil' Jon and Eve was released on May 12, 2009, and a music video was shortly released afterwards. Their debut album Crazy Horse was expected to be released in July 2010; however, it was delayed until October, when Aria revealed the band had disbanded due to dissatisfaction with their label.
G.R.L. is a girl group consisting of five members; Lauren Bennett, Paula van Oppen, Natasha Slayton, Simone Battle and Emmalyn Estrada. The group were originally planned to be the new-line up of the Pussycat Dolls following their disbandment in 2010. Robin later reformed them as a new group to serve as the "next generation" of the Dolls. The group is currently working on their debut album with Dr. Luke. Their managers are Larry Rudolph and Adam Leber. On June 16, 2013 they released their first single, "Vacation", as a B-side track on Britney Spears' single "Ooh La La", a song from the film The Smurfs 2.
During 2008, It was reported that Antin and the La Senza Corporation of Canada were producing a line of Burlesque/Pussycat Dolls-styled lingerie called "Shhh...by Robin". The line ranges from "girly and flirtatious" to "sexy and glamorous" intimate apparel. Antin says, "the words for me on this collection are flirtatious, fashion and fun!" Paradiso Girls Lauren Bennett and Kelly Beckett as well as review member Jersey modeled for it.
On her Twitter account, Antin announced the release of a workout DVD featuring Jamie Ruiz from Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious and other Burlesque Dolls Jenny Ronbinson and Michelle "Jersey" Maniscalco (whose pictures she posted on her Twitter account), as well as Chrystina Sayers and Nicole Scherzinger. It was released worldwide on December 15, 2009.
- The Pussycat Dolls (1995–2010)
- Mikey Minden (2003–present)
- Ron Fair (2004–present)
- Jimmy Iovine (2004–present)
- Girlicious (2007–2011)
- Paradiso Girls (2007–2010; on hiatus)
- Jamie Ruiz (2008–present)
- Matt Goss (2009–present)
- G.R.L. (2013–present)
- Matters of Consequence
- MTV Bash
- MTV Movie Awards
- My VH1 Awards
- Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica (one episode, "The Dancers")
- The Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll
- The Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious
- Mel B: It's a Scary World (one episode)
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians
- Megan Wants a Millionaire (guest judge)
- Jailbird Rock (1988)
- Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)
- "Carnival Choreographer’s Ball 11th Anniversary". DanceBloggers.com. February 1, 2010. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- Preston Lead Pussycat Doll Jamie Preston
- Zelniker Haley Zelniker
- "Alicia Vela-Bailey (Alicia) op Myspace". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "MySpace.com". Viewmorepics.myspace.com. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "MySpaceTV Videos: Las Vegas Pussycat Dolls Hosts E! Special by Ultimate Dolls-PCDWeb.net-Girlicious.nu". Vids.myspace.com. 2008-01-21. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- Vegas Dolls
- "MySpace". Viewmorepics.myspace.com. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- [dead link]
- Laurel Picture
- Ruiz as a Vegas PCD
- Review Members
- "UltimateDolls.net formerly PCDweb.net op Myspace". Viewmorepics.myspace.com. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- The Review Girls
- Molly's pictures
- Review Poster
- "Twitter / Robin Antin: RT @Official_Jersey: PCD F". Twitter.com. 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- Antin's Twitpics
- ""Pussycat Dolls founder’s Matt Goss, Dirty Virgins ready for Palms" by Robin Leach: Luxe Life". Vegas Deluxe. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "Official Site". Paradiso Girls. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "iTunes - Music - Patron Tequila (feat. Lil Jon and Eve) - Single by Paradiso Girls". Itunes.apple.com. 2009-05-12. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "Robin Antin at the Grammy's Pre-Party - SheKnows Goes to the Shows". SheKnows.com. 2011-11-17. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "Britney Poses With G.R.L.". BreatheHeavy.com. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "G.R.L.: New Girl Group's Formation Was 'Not Something That Happened Overnight'". 9 July 2013. Billboard. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "'Pussycat Dolls Present' Creator Launches Lingerie Collection". Buddytv.com. 2008-09-06. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- "La Senza Bras - Pussycat Dolls - Women's Bras - Pussycat Dolls at". Lasenza.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-11-24.
- [dead link]
- Robin Antin at the Internet Movie Database
- Paradiso Girls official website
- Matt Goss website
- G.R.L. official website