Robin Wilson (mathematician)
- This article is about Robin Wilson the mathematician. For the musician, see Robin Wilson.
|The Honourable R. J. Wilson|
|Born||5 December 1943
Pembroke College, Oxford, Gresham College
|Alma mater||University College School, Hampstead, London
University of Oxford (Balliol College)
University of Pennsylvania
|Doctoral advisor||Nesmith Ankeny|
Robin James Wilson (born 5 December 1943) is a professor in the Department of Mathematics at the Open University, a Stipendiary Lecturer at Pembroke College, Oxford and, as of 2006[update], Professor of Geometry at Gresham College, London, where he has also been a visiting professor. On occasion, he guest teaches at Colorado College.
- University College School (an independent school), in Hampstead, North London.
- BA First Class Honours in Mathematics from Balliol College, Oxford
- MA from the University of Pennsylvania
- PhD from the University of Pennsylvania (1965–1968)
- BA First Class Honours in Humanities with Music from the Open University.
In July 2008 he published a study of the mathematical work of Lewis Carroll, the creator of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass — Lewis Carroll in Numberland: His Fantastical Mathematical Logical Life.
He has strong interests in music, including the operas of Gilbert and Sullivan, and is the co-author (with Frederic Lloyd) of Gilbert and Sullivan: The Official D'Oyly Carte Picture History. In 2007 he was a guest on Private Passions, the biographical music discussion programme on BBC Radio 3.
- Combinatorics: Ancient & Modern (with John Watkins), Oxford University Press, 2013: ISBN 0-19-965659-2
- The Great Mathematicians (with Raymond Flood), Arcturus Publishing Ltd, 2011: ISBN 1-84837-902-1
- Hidden Word Sudoku, Infinite Ideas Limited 2005: ISBN 1-904902-74-X
- How to Solve Sudoku, Infinite Ideas Limited 2005: ISBN 1-904902-62-6
- Sherlock Holmes in Babylon and Other Tales of Mathematical History (co-edited with Marlow Anderson and Victor Katz), The Mathematical Association of America, 2004: ISBN 0-88385-546-1
- Mathematics and Music: From Pythagoras to Fractals (co-edited with John Fauvel & Raymond Flood), Oxford University Press, 2003: ISBN 0-19-851187-6
- Four Colours Suffice: How the Map Problem Was Solved, Allen Lane (Penguin), 2002: ISBN 0-7139-9670-6
- Stamping through Mathematics, Springer, 2001: ISBN 0-387-98949-8
- Oxford Figures: 800 Years of the Mathematical Sciences (with John Fauvel & Raymond Flood), Oxford: Clarendon Press, 2000: ISBN 0-19-852309-2
- Graphs and Applications: An Introductory Approach (with Joan Aldous), Springer, 2000: ISBN 1-85233-259-X
- Mathematical Conversations: Selections from the Mathematical Intelligencer (with J. Gray), Springer, 2000: ISBN 0-387-98686-3
- An Atlas of Graphs (with R.C. Read), Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1998: ISBN 0-19-853289-X (paperback edition, 2002: ISBN 0-19-852650-4)
- Graph Theory 1736-1936 (with Norman L. Biggs and Keith Lloyd), Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1976: ISBN 0-19-853901-0
- List of Gresham Professors of Geometry
- Robin Wilson's Page at the Open University
- Robin Wilson's entry in the Faculty of Mathematics and Computing at the Open University
- Lectures by Robin Wilson at Gresham College
- Robin Wilson's entry at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Works by or about Robin Wilson in libraries (WorldCat catalog)