Wright at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival
|Born||Robin Gayle Wright
April 8, 1966
Dallas, Texas, United States
|Other names||Robin Wright Penn|
|Spouse(s)||Dane Witherspoon (m. 1986; div. 1988)
Sean Penn (m. 1996; div. 2010)
|Children||2 (including Dylan Penn)|
Robin Gayle Wright (born April 8, 1966) is an American actress and television director. She was previously credited as Robin Wright Penn. Wright first gained attention when starring in the NBC soap opera Santa Barbara as Kelly Capwell from 1984 to 1988, for which she received three Daytime Emmy nominations. She made the transition to film, starring in the romantic comedy fantasy adventure film The Princess Bride (1987), the fantasy-comedy Toys (1992), the epic romantic-comedy-drama Forrest Gump (1994) (earning her a Golden Globe Award nomination), the romantic drama Message in a Bottle (1999), the superhero drama-thriller Unbreakable (2000), the historical drama The Conspirator (2010), the biographical sports drama Moneyball (2011), and the mystery thriller The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011).
She also stars as Claire Underwood in the Netflix series House of Cards, for which she has been nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series twice, and for which she won the Golden Globe in 2014 for Best Actress – Television Series Drama, making her the first actress to win a Golden Globe for an online-only web television series. From 1996 to 2010, Wright was married to actor Sean Penn, with whom she has two children.
Wright was born in Dallas, Texas, to Gayle Gaston, a cosmetics saleswoman, and Freddie Wright, a pharmaceutical-company employee. She was raised in San Diego, California. She attended La Jolla High School and Taft High School in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles.
She was listed as one of twelve "Promising New Actors of 1986" in John Willis' Screen World, Vol. 38. . Wright first became famous on television, playing Kelly Capwell on the soap opera Santa Barbara, which earned her three Daytime Emmy Award nominations.
It wasn't until early to mid-1990s that she rose to fame after her roles as Buttercup in The Princess Bride and Jenny Curran in Forrest Gump, the latter role garnering her Golden Globe Award and Screen Actors Guild nominations for Best Supporting Actress. Wright was offered the role of Maid Marian in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, but turned it down because she was pregnant. She backed out of the role of Abby McDeere in The Firm (1993), with Tom Cruise, upon discovering that she was pregnant with her second child, son Hopper Penn.
In 1996, she married actor Sean Penn and changed her name to Robin Wright Penn. The same year, she starred in the film adaptation of Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders for which she received a Satellite Nomination for Best Actress in a Drama. She went on to co-star with her husband in the 1997 film She's So Lovely, for which she was nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Actress. One of her most recent successes was a supporting role in the television film Empire Falls as Grace Roby, mother of Ed Harris's character Miles Roby. Wright received her third Screen Actors Guild Award nomination for this role.
In 2013, Wright starred in Netflix's series House of Cards, as Claire Underwood, the spouse of Kevin Spacey's character, Congressman Francis Underwood. On July 18, 2013, Netflix earned the first Primetime Emmy Award nominations for original online only web television for the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards. Among those nominations was Wright's portrayal of Claire Underwood for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series as well as Kevin Spacey's portrayal of Frank Underwood for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series and Jason Bateman's portrayal of Michael Bluth in Arrested Development for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series, making these three roles the first three leading roles to be Primetime Emmy Award-nominated from a web television series. On January 12, 2014, she became the first actress to win a Golden Globe Award for an online-only web television series.
In 1989, Wright became involved with actor Sean Penn following his divorce from Madonna. Their daughter Dylan Frances was born in April 1991. Their son Hopper Jack Penn was born in August 1993. Wright and Penn married in 1996. Their on-and-off relationship seemingly ended in divorce plans, announced in December 2007, but the divorce petition was withdrawn upon the couple's request four months later. In February 2009, Wright and Penn attended the 81st Academy Awards together, at which Penn won Best Actor. Penn subsequently filed for legal separation in April 2009, but withdrew the petition in May. On August 12, 2009, Wright filed for divorce once more, declaring she had no plans to reconcile. She also dropped "Penn" from her professional name. The divorce was finalized on July 22, 2010.
In February 2012, it was reported that Wright had begun dating actor Ben Foster. Their engagement was announced in January 2014. The couple have split and they called off their engagement on November 12, 2014.
She is the Honorary Spokesperson for the Dallas, Texas-based non-profit The Gordie Foundation. Robin has also been an advocate for the Enough Project. In 2014, she co-partnered with two California based companies called Pour Les Femmes and The SunnyLion The SunnyLion gives a portion of its profit back to the Raise Hope For Congo Movement.
|1986||Hollywood Vice Squad||Lori Stanton|
|1987||The Princess Bride||Buttercup|
|1990||State of Grace||Kathleen Flannery|
|1992||The Playboys||Tara Maguire|
|1994||Forrest Gump||Jenny Curran|
|1995||The Crossing Guard||Jojo|
|1996||Moll Flanders||Moll Flanders|
|1997||She's So Lovely||Maureen Murphy Quinn|
|1999||Message in a Bottle||Theresa Osborne|
|2000||How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog||Melanie McGowan|
|2001||The Last Castle||Rosalie Irwin||Uncredited|
|2002||Searching for Debra Winger||Herself||Documentary|
|2002||White Oleander||Starr Thomas|
|2003||The Singing Detective||Nicola/Nina/Blonde|
|2004||A Home at the End of the World||Clare|
|2005||Empire Falls||Grace Roby||Television film|
|2006||Breaking and Entering||Liv|
|2006||Room 10||Frannie||Short film|
|2008||What Just Happened||Kelly|
|2008||New York, I Love You||Anna|
|2009||State of Play||Anne Collins|
|2009||The Private Lives of Pippa Lee||Pippa Lee|
|2009||A Christmas Carol||Fan Scrooge/Belle|
|2010||The Conspirator||Mary Surratt|
|2011||The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo||Erika Berger|
|2013||The Congress||Robin Wright||Played herself|
|2014||A Most Wanted Man||Martha Sullivan|
|1983–1984||The Yellow Rose||Barbara Anderson||2 episodes|
|1984–1988||Santa Barbara||Kelly Capwell||509 episodes|
|2011||Saturday Night Live||Jenny Curran||1 episode, "Tina Fey/Ellie Goulding"|
|2013–present||House of Cards||Claire Underwood||39 episodes; also directed three episodes: "Chapter 23", "Chapter 35" and "Chapter 38"|
Awards and nominations
|1986||Daytime Emmy Awards||
Outstanding Younger Actress in a Drama Series
|Saturn Awards||The Princess Bride||Nominated|
|Golden Globe Awards||Nominated|
|1997||Satellite Awards||Moll Flanders||Nominated|
|SAG Awards||She's So Lovely||Nominated|
Favorite Actress – Drama/Romance
|Message in a Bottle||Nominated|
Favorite Supporting Actress – Suspense
Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama
|Breaking and Entering||Nominated|
|SAG Awards||Empire Falls||Nominated|
Best Female Lead
|2013||Primetime Emmy Awards||House of Cards||Nominated|
|2014||Golden Globe Awards||Won|
|Satellite Awards||Best Actress – TV Series Drama||Won|
|Primetime Emmy Awards||Nominated|
|2015||Screen Actors Guild Award||Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series||Nominated|
|Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series||Nominated|
|Golden Globe Awards||Nominated|
|Satellite Awards||Best Actress – TV Series Drama||Pending|
- "Robin Wright Biography (1966-)". FilmReference.com. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- "Robin Wright- Biography". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- Stelter, Brian (July 18, 2013). "Netflix Does Well in 2013 Primetime Emmy Nominations". The New York Times. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Hyman, Vicki (January 12, 2014). "2014 Golden Globes: Robin Wright wins best actress for online-only 'House of Cards'". The Star-Ledger. NJ.com. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- Grossberg, Josh (2007-12-28). "Penn, Wright Splitsville". Yahoo! News. Archived from the original on 2008-01-01.
- MacMinn, Aleene (April 17, 1991). "Cradle Watch". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on March 9, 2012. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
Dylan Frances Penn was born Saturday [April 13] at 10:49 p.m. at UCLA Medical Center.
- Kelly, Richard T. (2004). Sean Penn: His Life and Times. Canongate U.S. p. 274. ISBN 978-1841956237.
- White, Nicholas (2007-12-27). "Sean Penn and Robin Wright Penn Divorcing". People. Retrieved 2009-09-16.
- Orloff, Brian (2008-04-09). "Sean Penn & Robin Wright Stop Divorce Action". People. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- "Sean Penn Files for Legal Separation". People. 2009-04-29. Retrieved 2009-09-16.
- "Sean Penn withdraws separation filing". USA Today. 2009-05-22.
- Lee, Ken (2009-08-18). "Robin Wright Penn Files for Divorce". People. Retrieved 2009-09-16.
- Breslau, Karen (September 2009). "Robin Wright Penn Goes It Alone". More. Retrieved 2009-09-16.
- Derschowitz, Jessica (2009-11-16). "Big changes for Robin Wright". CBS News.
- Oh, Eunice (2010-08-04). "Sean Penn and Robin Wright Finalize Their Divorce". People. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Robin Wright and Ben Foster Get Cozy". People. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- "Robin Wright 47 gets engaged boyfriend Ben Foster 33 flashes sparkler fashion bash". Daily Mail. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- Loinaz, Alexis L. (January 11, 2014). "Robin Wright and Ben Foster are engaged". People. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- Marquina, Sierra (November 12, 2014). "Robin Wright and Ben Foster Split, Call Off 10-Month Engagement -- Find Out What Went Wrong". Us Weekly. Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- "The Gordie Foundation Announces HAZE Documentary and Robin Wright Penn as Part of the 2009 AFI DALLAS International Film Festival" 3/19/2009, Foundation web site
- "Letter from Robin Wright - Pour Les Femmes is so much more than a women's sleepwear company -- this is something I believe in because we help address the basic right of a woman to feel safe in her environment."
- "Proud to be a partner of The Sunny Lion #wovenearphones. Portion of sales support @raisehopeforcongo #humanrights! http://www.whosay.com/l/HFi7FPF"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Robin Wright Penn.|