Diaz at Detroit Tigers spring training
September 19, 1983 |
Monte Plata, Dominican Republic
|April 23, 2008 for the Toronto Blue Jays|
(through 2009 season)
|Runs batted in||20|
Robinzon Díaz Henriquez (born September 19, 1983) is a Dominican professional baseball catcher in the Milwaukee Brewers organization. He played in Major League Baseball for the Toronto Blue Jays and Pittsburgh Pirates.
Toronto Blue Jays
On August 25, 2008, Díaz was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates as the player to be named later to complete a trade for José Bautista and was assigned to the Triple-A Indianapolis Indians. After spending several days with Indianapolis, he was called up by the Pirates on September 2. On September 7, 2008, Díaz got his first major league hit, against San Francisco Giants pitcher Jonathan Sánchez.
Díaz began the 2009 season in Triple-A but was recalled to the Pirates late in April after starting catcher Ryan Doumit became sidelined with a broken wrist. He would serve mainly as backup to fellow rookie catcher Jason Jaramillo and as an occasional pinch hitter. In his 31 games with Pittsburgh, Díaz compiled a .295 batting average and drove in 18 runs. He was optioned back to Triple-A when Doumit returned from injury on July 10.
He was designated for assignment at the end of the 2009 season, and released on November 30, 2009.
Díaz spent the 2010 season as a member of the Toledo Mud Hens, wearing #26. He filed for free agency on November 6, 2010.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Diaz signed a minor league contract with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on December 23, 2011. He was released on August 7, 2012.
Return to Texas
The Rangers re-signed Diaz to a minor league contract on August 12, 2012, and assigned him to the Triple-A Round Rock Express. On November 3, he was declared a minor league free agent by Major League Baseball.
On January 18, 2013, Díaz signed a minor league contract with the Milwaukee Brewers. He started the 2013 season with the Brewers' Double-A affiliate Huntsville Stars. He split the season with the Stars and Triple-A Nashville, where in 108 games total, he hit .302/.335/.433 with 7 HR and 42 RBI. After joining the Sounds on June 29, 2013, Díaz closed out the year by hitting .328 (58-for-127) in 50 Pacific Coast League games.
The Brewers signed Diaz to another minor-league deal on February 23, 2015.
- Pirates acquire Robinzon Diaz from Toronto
- Beck, Jason (December 8, 2009). "Tigers add catcher Diaz on Minors deal: Veteran adds to depth in case Avila needs more time". MLB.com. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "The Texas Rangers sign Robinzon Diaz to a minor league deal". rangerslocker.com. January 25, 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-09.
- Eddy, Matt (November 6, 2012). "Minor League Free Agents 2012". Retrieved November 11, 2012.
- "Brewers signed C Robinzon Diaz to a minor league contract". fantasysp.com. January 18, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2013.
- Nashville Sounds pregame notes, April 18, 2014
- Adams, Steve (October 1, 2013). "Minor Moves: Velez, Gomez, Diaz, Leon". MLB Trade Rumors.
- MiLB.com profile access 4/18/2014
- Adams, Steve (February 26, 2015). "Minor Moves: Ransom, McCoy, Diaz, Gaudin". Retrieved February 26, 2015.