June 21, 1953 |
Robyn Douglass (born June 21, 1953) is an American actress and model. The daughter of an Army doctor and hospital administrator, she was born in Sendai, Japan. She began acting while attending a Catholic girls' school in Mountain View, California. She was featured in the films Breaking Away, Romantic Comedy, and The Lonely Guy, and she had a recurring role on the television series Galactica 1980. She appeared on the cover of the December 1974 edition of Playboy. Nude and erotic photos of Douglass also appeared in the 1981 edition of Hustler, which led to her filing a lawsuit against the magazine. In the suit she claimed that the photos were published without her permission and portrayed her in a false light, including as a lesbian, which damaged her career as an advertising model. A jury ruled in her favor, but in 1985 the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit reversed the judgement and ordered a new trial. The United States Supreme Court let the order stand without comment.
On December 2, 2000 Douglass became Robyn Halprin when she married criminal defense attorney Rick Halprin, 13 years her senior, who is known for his high-profile clients, including Chicago crime boss Joseph Lombardo.
In 2002 the Halprins sued Prairie Single Family Homes of Dearborn Park Association under the Civil Rights Act of 1968, claiming that the neighborhood association was allowing harassment of the couple because Rick Halprin is Jewish. In 2004, in a decision much-debated among attorneys, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit reversed part of a lower court's dismissal of the case on narrow grounds.
Douglass later divorced Halprin.
- Robyn Douglass Proves That Clothes Make the Man in a TV-Movie Tootsie, People (magazine), March 19, 1984, http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20087390,00.html, URL accessed December 12, 2010.
- http://s11.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/e/a/eagmath0fgg1amhe.jpg, URL accessed December 12, 2010.
- , URL accessed December 12, 2010
- Robyn Douglass, Plaintiff-Appellee-Cross-Appellant, v. Hustler Magazine, Inc., Defendant-Appellant-Cross-Appellee, and Augustin Gregory, Defendant., 769 F.2d 1128, http://vlex.com/vid/robyn-douglass-hustler-magazine-augustin-37078403, URL accessed December 11, 2010.
- Retrial is ordered in actress Robyn Douglass' false light invasion of privacy claim against Hustler maga- zine for unauthorized publication of nude photo- graphs; United States Supreme Court lets stand Federal Court of Appeals decision reversing damage award to Douglass, http://elr.carolon.net/BI/V08N01.PDF, URL accessed December 12, 2010.
- Q&A With Four Prominent Chicago Criminal Defense Attorneys, http://www.law.northwestern.edu/news/article_full.cfm?eventid=3661&WT.mc_id=200805, URL accessed December 12, 2010.
- Robyn Halprin and Rick Halprin, Plaintiffs-appellants, v. the Prairie Single Family Homes of Dearborn Park Association, et al., Defendants-appellees, http://cases.justia.com/us-court-of-appeals/F3/388/327/569812/, URL accessed December 12, 2010.
- Post-Acquisition Harassment and the Scope of the Fair Housing Act, http://www.alabamalawreview.org/articles/Volume%2058/Issue%202/short.pdf, URL accessed December 12, 2010.
- Sobol, Rosemary Regina (2013-06-05). http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-05/news/ct-met-halprin-obit-20130605_1_tom-durkin-animal-rights-group-hockey. Retrieved 2013-09-13. Missing or empty