Roca Line (Buenos Aires)
A 1983 Toshiba Electric unit leaving
Lomas de Zamora Station.
|Service type||Commuter rail|
|Locale||Buenos Aires Province|
|Predecessor||Great Southern Railway|
|Ridership||10,9 million |
|End||Ezeiza [a] / Cañuelas [b]
A. Korn [a]
La Plata [b]
Haedo [b] [c]
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Track owner(s)||Government of Argentina|
This service had previously been run by the private company Metropolitano until the Government of Argentina revoked the contract of concession in 2007. The UGOFE took over the service until February 12, 2014, when it was announced that the line would be granted to the local group EMEPA. 
The Roca line operates from the city-centre terminus of Constitución railway station south to Alejandro Korn, Cañuelas, and La Plata, and west to Haedo along broad gauge lines built by the British-owned Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway. The intermediate stations connecting the different branch lines are Avellaneda, Bosques and Temperley.
The line consists of 198 kilometers of track (55 of which are electrified), 70 stations, 146 grade crossings, 907 daily services through its different branches, and carries half a million passengers daily.
In spite of the large government subsidies received by TMR a serious decline in the standard of their rail services has led to the original concession being revoked and the service is now operated by the consortium UGOFE.
Currently there are plans under way for a major investment to modernize the line with the electrification of the whole system, a new maintenance yard in the town of Tolosa in La Plata, several new bridges and tunnels at road crossings and improved grade crossings, all new concrete sleepers and welded rail joints for the entire line, the remodeling of 50 stations and the purchase of 200 electric coaches of the latest technology. Presently electrification of Avellaneda-Quilmes and Temperley-Bosques sections are under way.
- Constitución - Ezeiza [a]
- Ezeiza - Cañuelas [b]
- Constitución - Alejandro Korn [a]
- Constitución - La Plata [b]
- Temperley - Bosques [b]
- Temperley - Haedo [b]
- Electric service.
- Diesel service.
- Departs from Temperley station
- LGR bulletin #4 at UGOFE website
- "Kirchner le quitó la concesión de trenes a Metropolitano", La Nación, 22 May 2007
- "Trenes: le dan a Roggio el Mitre y el San Martín y a Emepa, el Roca y el Belgrano Sur", La Nación, 12 Feb 2014
- "Las privadas volverán a operar la mayoría de las líneas ferroviarias", Clarín, 12 Feb 2014
- "El Gobierno estableció un nuevo régimen de operaciones de las líneas ferroviarias", Telam, 12 Feb 2014
- Sanchéz, Nora (2007). "En abril arrancaría la etapa final de la electrificación del Roca". La Nación. Retrieved 2008-06-16. (Spanish)
- DyN (2008). "Electrificarán todos los ramales del Ferrocarril Roca". www.perfil.com. Retrieved 2008-06-11. (Spanish)