Rocco Siffredi in January 2010 at the AVN Awards in Las Vegas
|Born||Rocco Antonio Tano
4 May 1964
Ortona, Abruzzo, Italy
|Other names||Rocco Lorenz, Ginger Rocco, Dario, Rocco Siffedi, Rocco Sifferdi, Rocco Sifredi, Robbo Siffredi of Beverley, Oggy Thefrog, Rocky Siffreddy, Roco Siffredi, The Italian Stallion.|
|No. of adult films||452 as actor
251 as director
Rocco Siffredi (born Rocco Antonio Tano, 4 May 1964) is the stage name of an Italian pornographic actor, director and producer of pornographic movies who is known for his rough sex scenes. As of October 2011, he has starred in more than 1,300 pornographic films.
Siffredi met porn actor Gabriel Pontello in a French sex club in 1984. The actor introduced Siffredi to producer Marc Dorcel and director Michel Ricaud, who cast him in his first pornographic role, Attention fillettes… (Attention little girls…) in 1987, in which he performed anal sex. Siffredi then stepped away from porn and worked as a fashion model, but returned to the business after two years with the help of porn actress Teresa Orlowski. Siffredi went on to perform in both plot-based and gonzo-style pornography, with styles of sex ranging from ordinary to extreme. However, it was Siffredi's performances involving rough sex, anal sex and analingus, and his psychological intensity and athleticism, that earned him recognition and ultimately a cult following. Through collaboration with John Stagliano's Evil Angel studio, and then his own Budapest-based Rocco Siffredi Produzioni as both a performer and director, "Rocco" became one of the most powerful and recognizable personalities in pornography. "Rocco has far more power in this industry than any actress," John Stagliano commented in 2001.
In June 2004, Siffredi declared that he would retire from performing in porn for the sake of his children, and instead focus on direction and production. "My children are growing up," he said, "and I can no longer just say 'Dad is going to work to make money for the family.' They want to know more." Regarding Siffredi's long career, Axel Braun commented, "The problem is that he's been trying for years to find an 'heir to the throne,' but it's no easy task. He thought he found him in Nacho Vidal, but then Nacho went his own way." Siffredi, while continuing to direct, was largely absent as an on-screen performer for nearly 5 years. However sexual frustration, and disappointment as a director with his male talent and the state of the porn industry overall, led Siffredi to return as a performer in 2009.
Style of pornography
Siffredi's rough sex performances include spitting, slapping, spanking, deep throat, irrumatio, urolagnia, hair pulling, choking, rimming and general roughhousing. Despite these sexual practices becoming more common in pornography in the 2000s, Siffredi's on-screen behavior is distinct from most present-day depictions of dominant men in sadomasochistic or erotic humiliation scenes. He often places himself in submissive poses, such as smothering his face with an actress's feet or buttocks, or accepting physical retorts such as slaps across the face. He is also known for pouring verbal praise on his co-stars during scenes, and indeed . Siffredi on rare occasion portrays the submissive fully, in films like Rocco More than Ever in London 2, Animal Trainer 11, and Marquis de Sade, appearing in drag in the latter. Actress Bobbi Starr noted of Siffredi, "[A]ny girl in the industry who has been with him… will tell you that they have done things with him that they [would] never do with anyone else." Speaking of his female partners, Siffredi says, "I want to see emotion… fear… excitement… the eyes going up from being surprised."
Siffredi is notorious for his performance alongside Sidony Lamour (Lavour) in 1995's Sandy Insatiable, which depicts him forcing the actress's head into a flush toilet during anal sex. In 2009's Rocco Ravishes L.A., Siffredi recounts the production of the scene as both spontaneous and consensual, before re-enacting it with an insistent Bobbi Starr. Siffredi is also known for several long-term professional partnerships, including his other performances with "Sandy", his series of torrid on-screen encounters with Kelly Stafford, his world travels and video productions with John Stagliano, and performances alongside his one-time protégé Nacho Vidal. Notable in his films are arranged sexual encounters with female fans, appearances of male "Rocco Siffredi Fun Club" (fan club) members, the unlikely sexual involvement of local male talent, and varied production locations which have included Budapest, Prague, Brazil, Canada, and the United States. Siffredi is also well known for his animalistic performance in 1995's Tarzan X: Shame of Jane (originally known as Jungle Heat) alongside his wife Rosa Caracciolo.
In mainstream media
Siffredi is one of a few porn actors to enjoy crossover appeal and success with respect to other segments of the adult-film industry, as well as some in mainstream media. As a primary example, although his acting has been restricted exclusively to heterosexual pornography, his looks have resulted in his attracting a large gay audience. In December 1990, Siffredi was selected to pose as the nude centerfold in the adult mainstream magazine Playgirl. Accompanying him on the cover was the caption, "At last! A centerfold to die for!"
In 1999, he appeared in the controversial Catherine Breillat film Romance. His performance in this role was followed by a part specifically written for him by the same director in her 2003 film Anatomie de L'enfer (Anatomy of Hell), in which he plays a gay man who becomes sexually involved with a woman. Both films feature unsimulated sexual scenes involving Siffredi, although it is disputed whether he actually has intercourse with co-star Caroline Ducey in Romance. (She says no, Siffredi says yes.)
Siffredi is also visible in non-pornographic roles on Italian television, including:
- Television commercials for Amica Chips, a snack food, which have spawned considerable controversy and have at one point been taken off the air.
- With his wife, Rosa Caracciolo, in a television commercial for 48248, an SMS service.
- As the unwitting participant in an episode of Scherzi a Parte, a program similar to Candid Camera.
- Elio e Le Storie Tese's leader Stefano Belisari (also known as Elio) dedicated in 1997 to Siffredi a song and a video Rocco e Le Storie Tese. Rocco himself directed the video also appearing in it.
Siffredi is married to Rosa Caracciolo (born Rózsa Tassi), a Hungarian model whom he met in 1993 in Cannes, and with whom he performed 2 years later in Tarzan X: Shame of Jane. Together they have two sons, Lorenzo and Leonardo. Upon his decision to return to on-screen pornographic performance in 2009, Siffredi recounted, "I spoke with my wife and she said it’s my problem only, it doesn't belong to her and the boys. And she said, 'You decided to stop, we never asked you. So if you want to go back, just go back."
- Best Group Sex Scene – Video (Buttman's Ultimate Workout)
- Best Director – Foreign Release (Who Fucked Rocco?)
- Best Continuing Video Series (Rocco: Animal Trainer)
- Best Director – Video (Ass Collector)
- Male Performer of the Year in 1993 and 1996
- Male Foreign Performer of the Year in 2003, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Best Anal Sex Scene – Film (The Fashionistas)
- Best Pro-Am Release (Rocco's Initiations 9)
- Best Foreign Feature (Rocco: Animal Trainer 3)
- AVN Hall of Fame award
He has also won:
- 1996 Hot d'Or Award - Best European Actor
- 2002 XRCO Award - Best Actor, Single Performance (The Fashionistas)
- 2002 FICEB Ninfa Awards - Best Actor and Best Director (both for Ass Collector - International Film Grup)
- 2004 FICEB Special Jury Ninfa Award
- 2007 FICEB Ninfa Awards - Best Actor (Fashionistas Safado) and Most Original Sex Scene (Fashionistas Safado - Evil Angel Video/Ifg) with Belladonna, Jenna Haze, Gianna Michaels, Sandra Romain & 7 others
- 2011 XBIZ Award – Gonzo Release of the Year – Non-Feature (Tori, Tarra and Bobbi Love Rocco) 
- 2011 XBIZ Award – Foreign Male Performer of the Year 
- 2014 XBIZ Award – European Non-Feature Release of the Year (Cayenne Loves Rocco)
He was recently[when?] voted #10 in AVN's list of the Top 50 Porn Stars of All Time. He has received numerous other awards, including the prestigious Hot D'Or Platinum Award and induction into the XRCO Hall of Fame.
References in popular culture
- Siffredi is referenced in the Hold Steady song "Most People Are DJs" from 2004's Almost Killed Me.
- The Polish punk rock band Anti Dread wrote the song "Roko na Sterydach" ("Rocco on Steroids") about Siffredi.
- He is also referred by famous Italian rock band Elio e Le Storie Tese (a Milan rock band whose music is inspired to the style of Frank Zappa). Sergio Conforti (band's vocals, keyboards, electronic drums, piano), ironizing in his reference, adopted the stage name of Rocco Tanica ..
- Mark Holcomb and Matt Halpern, of progressive metal band Periphery, are avid fans of Rocco's work, and quote Rocco's famous lines on-stage.
- Rocco Siffredi is referenced in the songs "Kundel Bury" and "Wina Satana" from the band Arka Satana.
- He is also referenced in the song "Padre Siffredi" from Danish hardcore band Barcode in the album "Showdown" (1995) including lyrics like "Size does matter, the bigger the badder".
- Underground cult filmmaker Carlos Atanes stated that Stanley Kubrick, David Lean and Rocco Siffredi were his main film references and he also said about Siffredi's work that "Agnes’ scene in “Rocco invades Poland” or Gabriella Kerez’ pool scene from “True Anal Stories 9” are deeper than any Theo Angelopoulos’ movie and show us the human inside more accurately than any Ingmar Bergman’s film." 
- In French crime drama Braquo Season 2,Episode 6, Internal Affairs Inspector Roland Vogel jokes to a prostitute that his "tool" would make Rocco Siffredi "hide in shame."
- Siffredi is the male actor in the "It's Only Smellz" video that has became a popular meme.
- UK band The Singing Pictures released a secret track named "Siffredi it" in reference to his porn acting style.
- Siffredi is referenced in the song "Rocco Siffredi" by the German rapper SSIO
- Wedding in Paris, (2011)
Tarzan X - Shame Of Jane
- D'Agostino, Patrizia. Rocco Siffredi: il mito di un uomo italiano. Castelvecchi, 1998. ISBN 8882101061.
- Siffredi, Rocco. Io, Rocco. Mondadori, 2006. ISBN 8804559950.
- "Rocco Siffredi, grande ritorno al porno: "Mi mancava troppo il sesso"" (in Italian). Il Gazzettino. 18 December 2009. Retrieved 2010-02-18.
- "El 'rey del porno' Siffredi publica los secretos de su vida". Terra España (in Spanish). 2006-10-06. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- Rocco Siffredi at the Internet Adult Film Database
- "Le duo Delon-Belmondo ressuscite avec éclat". Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Roccosiffrediblog.com". Roccosiffrediblog.com. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- Martin Amis (2001-03-17). "A rough trade". guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- sasha (2005-07-29). "Sex - Dark Side of the Moon: Roko "The Porn King" Retires after 1300 Movies". Planetsex.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- Adult Video News, 2004
- "AVN - Rocco Siffredi Reveals Reasons for Return In Exclusive Interview". Business.avn.com. 2010-02-19. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- "RHP Exclusive Interview with Porn Queen Bobbi Starr". RedHotPie. Retrieved 2013-08-16.
- "Culture: Is it art or porn?". timesonline.co.uk. 2004-07-18. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- Juan Carlos Rodríguez (2002-11-03). "Rocco es un hombre que disfruta muchísimo con su trabajo" (in Spanish). www.elmundo.es. Retrieved 2010-01-27.
- "5ème cérémonie des Hot d'Or". Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "BEST OF 1993-2002". Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "2002 FICEB Award Winners & Nominees". Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "2004 Award winners & nominees". Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- ""Winners of the 2007 FICEB Ninfa Awards"". XStarsNews. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "XBIZ Award Winners". Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "XBIZ Award Winners 2014". Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Arka Satana-Kundel Bury". Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Horrorphilia Hot Seat w/ Director Carlos Atanes". 2010-12-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rocco Siffredi.|
- RoccoSiffredi — official American site
- Rocco Siffredi at the Internet Movie Database
- Rocco Siffredi on Twitter
- Rocco Siffredi at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Rocco Siffredi at the Adult Film Database