|Population||1,092 (2011 census)|
|Federal Division(s)||Division of Bonner|
Rochedale is an outer southern suburb of the City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It is 17 kilometres (11 mi) south-east of the Brisbane central business district. At the 2011 Australian Census the suburb recorded a population of 1,092. The suburb's western boundary is partially aligned with the Gateway Motorway and Bulimba Creek.
During convict settlement, explorers passed through the region but it was not until 1865 that the first settlers started farming the area's rich alluvial soil.
The area takes its name from the Roche family, who emigrated from Ireland to Australia in 1860 and settled in the region. The family built a homestead they called Rochedale in 1868. During the 1960s residential development took off in the area. One local builder, Jack Davey was responsible for some of the new estates off Rochedale Road between Underwood Road and Priestdale Road. Some of the street names are family names such as Rhonda Street and Davey Street. The family lived in the area until the mid 1990s. In 1981, the Redeemer Lutheran College was established.
Rochedale State School was established at the intersection of Miles Platting Road and Rochedale Road in 1931.
In previous elections, the controversy on whether a dump should be built in Rochedale or not featured heavily in some candidates' campaigns.
From 2009, Rochedale is expected to experience major growth from 1,200 residents to over 17,000 over the course of 15–20 years. This is due to 'The Rochedale Urban Community Development' where bush and farm lands have been approved by the Brisbane City Council to be turned into housing estates.
As Rochedale backs onto the Priest Gully a wildlife corridor has been set up to preserve the local flora and fauna.
In the 2011 Census the population of Rochedale is 1,092, 49.5% female and 50.5% male.
The median/average age of the Rochedale population is 43 years of age, 6 years above the Australian average.
64.9% of people living in Rochedale were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were Taiwan 3.8%, England 3.7%, New Zealand 3.5%, Italy 1.2%, United States of America 1.2%.
72.4% of people speak English as their first language 4.2% Mandarin, 1.6% Italian, 1.6% Greek, 1.5% Cantonese, 1% Punjabi.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Rochedale (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Rochedale (entry 41661)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government.
- "Ourbrisbane: Rochedale". Suburb Profiles. Brisbane City Council. 12 February 2008. Retrieved 22 December 2013. via the Wayback Machine.
- "Rochedale South". Logan City Council. 1 May 2013. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- AAP (15 May 2011). "Brisbane turns garbage to power with waste-to-energy generation plant from Landfill Gas Industries". thecouriermail.com.au (News Ltd). Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Rochedale and Rochedale South
- "Rochedale". BRISbites. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 23 July 2008.
- "Rochedale". Our Brisbane. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 12 January 2008.