|City of Rochester, Indiana|
Rochester business district
|Motto: "The City of Friendship and Pride"|
Location in the state of Indiana
|Incorporated Town||June 11, 1853 |
|Incorporated City||October 11, 1909 |
|• Mayor||Mark Smiley (L)|
|• Total||5.80 sq mi (15.02 km2)|
|• Land||4.69 sq mi (12.15 km2)|
|• Water||1.11 sq mi (2.87 km2) 19.14%|
|Elevation||781 ft (238 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||6,183|
|• Density||1,325.8/sq mi (511.9/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0442186|
Rochester was incorporated in 1853.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.80 square miles (15.02 km2), of which 4.69 square miles (12.15 km2) is land and 1.11 square miles (2.87 km2) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 6,218 people, 2,702 households, and 1,650 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,325.8 inhabitants per square mile (511.9 /km2). There were 3,211 housing units at an average density of 684.6 per square mile (264.3 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 95.9% White, 0.6% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 1.0% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.4% of the population.
There were 2,702 households of which 28.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.2% were married couples living together, 13.4% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 38.9% were non-families. 33.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size was 2.84.
The median age in the city was 41.6 years. 22.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.4% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.9% were from 25 to 44; 26.6% were from 45 to 64; and 19.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.9% male and 52.1% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,414 people, 2,757 households, and 1,734 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,407.4 people per square mile (543.1/km²). There were 3,188 housing units at an average density of 699.5/sq mi (269.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.24% White, 0.59% Native American, 0.45% African American, 0.84% Asian, 0.86% from other races, and 1.01% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.86% of the population.
There were 2,757 households out of which 26.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.5% were married couples living together, 9.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.1% were non-families. 32.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.30 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.6% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 22.3% from 45 to 64, and 19.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 90.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $33,424, and the median income for a family was $41,949. Males had a median income of $31,446 versus $20,796 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,866. About 7.8% of families and 11.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.4% of those under age 18 and 8.2% of those age 65 or over.
Parks and recreation
Located on the east side of Rochester, Lake Manitou is a popular place in the summer for boating and other water-related activities.
- Otis R. Bowen, fourth United States Secretary of Health and Human Services was born nearby.
- Thurman C. Crook, one-term U.S. congressman.
- Gene DeWeese, science fiction writer, was born in Rochester.
- Ron Herrell, a current member of the Indiana House of Representatives
- Elmo Lincoln, a film actor and subject of the biography My Father, Elmo Lincoln: The Original Tarzan
- Ray Mowe, shortstop for the 1913 Brooklyn Dodgers
- John Angus Chamberlain, sculptor
- Jorge Argüello, current Ambassador of Argentina to the United States
- Nicole Anderson, American actress on Disney Channel.
- "City of Rochester Indiana". City of Rochester Indiana. Retrieved September 29, 2012.
- "History of Rochester". City of Rochester Indiana. Retrieved January 22, 2013.
- "The City of Friendship and Pride". rochester.in.us. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Places: Indiana". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-04-21.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rochester, Indiana.|