Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai
|Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai|
Seal of the Rochester Institute of Technology
|Type||Not For Profit|
|Affiliation||Rochester Institute of Technology|
|President||Dr. Yousef Al-Assaf |
|Vice-president||Dr. Khalid Khawaja|
|Location||Dubai Silicon Oasis, Dubai, UAE
|Colors||Orange and Brown
|Mascot||RITchie (Tiger) |
Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai (RIT Dubai) is a satellite campus of Rochester Institute of Technology, New York, USA in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The college, is located in the Dubai Silicon Oasis and started offering part-time graduate courses in Fall 2008. In 2009, the university began its full-time graduate program. RIT Dubai's first graduating class was in 2010, with the graduation ceremony taking place in Rochester, NY. In 2010, a full-time undergraduate program was started as part of the university's planned expansion. In the fall of 2011, RIT Dubai moved its campus to a new premises to accommodate the growing student body. By 2019, RIT plans to expand the campus to 1,000,000 square feet (93,000 m2) to provide facilities for 4,000 students.
The RIT Dubai campus is the Rochester Institute of Technology's third international campus. The university's other satellite campuses are American College of Management and Technology located in Croatia and American University in Kosovo.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Facilities and Services
- 4 Activities on campus
- 5 Accessibility
- 6 People
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai was established in Dubai Silicon Oasis in 2008  to provide quality higher education in the region. It has bachelors and masters programs for students and professionals in Middle East, North Africa and South East Asia.
The founding president of RIT Dubai is Mustafa A.G. Abushagur. who led the efforts to establish a satellite campus in the middle east. He mediated the negotiations between Rochester Institute of Technology - New York and the government of the United Arab Emirates to set up a campus at the Dubai Silicon Oasis in Dubai, UAE.
Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai became the symbol of the understanding between the Rochester Institute of Technology president William W. Destler and officials from Dubai. The Dubai Silicon Oasis Authority invited Rochester Institute of Technology to ensure a pool of skilled hi-tech professionals in the community. On the other hand, it provided Rochester Institute of Technology with a chance to act on its strategic plan to enhance global opportunities for their students and extend their platform.
In 2013, Dr. Youssef Al Assaf was appointed as the new president of Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai  following the leave of Mustafa A.G. Abushagur who became the first elected prime minister  in the modern history of Libya.
The academic programs offered in Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai are the same as those offered in New York campus and all students earn the same degree as those studying at Rochester Institute of Technology - New York. All programs have been approved and accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR) in the UAE.
- Business 
- Computing & Information Sciences
These undergraduate programs are designed for full-time study wherein students combine practical experience with academic foundations and an emphasis on modern and newly developed technologies. Students have the opportunity to study abroad at the New York campus and fulfill part of their degree requirement by attending classes there.
Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai began offering graduate degree programs in September 2008 in several different disciplines. The masters programs have been selected to support the need for professional development, economic growth and human capital development in Dubai and the gulf region. All masters programs are part-time programs and classes are offered in a variety of formats and timings to accommodate convenience for working professionals.
- Service Leadership and Innovation
- Networking and Systems Administration
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
The Foundation Programs
- The ‘Achievement Academy’ prepares students and community members in various fields including English, Math, Science, communication skills, leadership skills, and management skills.
- The Achievement Academy also offers English Courses for professionals, personal interest, international students and RIT Dubai Students.
Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai offers internationally recognized degrees that are issued through its parent campus RIT in New York. The certification is accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR) in the UAE for all its Master’s and Bachelor’s programs, The mother Programs at Rochester-NY are also accredited by ABET and the middle states authority. As per ABET requirements, the Dubai is expected to apply for ABET accreditation on graduating the first batch of students in June 2015.
Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai is licensed by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority the regulatory authority of the Emirate of Dubai that is responsible for the growth,direction and quality of private education and learning in Dubai.
Rochester Institute of Technology is chartered by the New York state legislature and accredited by: Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) and by the New York State Education Department.
In addition to institutional accreditation, bachelors and masters programs of the Rochester Institute of Technology - New York in engineering and business are accredited by accreditation bodies such as American Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET) and Association of Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
Facilities and Services
Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai provides facilities that include engineering and computing labs, bookstore, fitness center, outdoor and indoor sports facilities, cafeteria and a library.
- The library has an onsite collection of 3,000 volumes. In addition, RIT Dubai students have access to over 125,000 electronic books, 50,000 electronic journals and 250 databases from the main campus library in Rochester, New York.
- Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai students have the possibility of living at Etisalat Academy, student housing, which is located near Al Rashidiya metro station that provides multiple facilities that include: Satellite TV, telephone line, free WiFi in every room, Room service, housekeeping, laundry, TV lounges on each floor, restaurant, outdoor and indoor leisure and sports facilities (gym, swimming pool, tennis court, basketball court, kids playground, lounge), Mosque and Free parking.
- Transportation is provided to students if needed from three central locations in: Sharjah, Al Rashidya Metro station & Mall of The Emirates Metro Station. There is a free university shuttle service that operates several times per day between the Etisalat Academy and RIT Dubai campus
- Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai also has a technology incubator that provides space, advice, technology and some funding to student technology start up companies.
Activities on campus
RIT Dubai University Competition is the main event that occurs on an annual basis on campus. High school students are invited to participate in various competitions in Knowledge, Engineering and Business. The winners of the competition win a scholarship to pursue their education at RIT Dubai.
At the beginning of the academic year in Fall semester, the University holds the orientation on days where students are introduced to the ins and outs of the university, register for classes and take the Math and English placement tests
The counselor workshop aims at providing high school representatives with the right tools to make sure their students pick the right university whether they are heading abroad to various places such the US, Canada, the UK or even staying here in UAE.
The Student Government (SG) elections for President and Vice President took place on May 1, 2013 to represent the entire student body of the university and assist the Student Services department in all student related tasks. The elections for representatives took place in the first week October. The rest of the positions in the Student Government are External Communication Officer, Internal Communications Officer, Events Organizer, Athletics Director and the Treasurer and Secretary. Candidates applying for these posts are appointed.
The 2013-14 Student Government has the following members
- President- Rabeet Khan
- Vice President- Yara Hattab
- Secretary and Treasurer- Fayez Bawab
- Athletics Director- Tony Ghanime
- External Communications Officers- Zuhair Siddique and Muhammad Asim Kidwai
- Event Organizers- Farah Al-Okar and Zuhair Siddique
- Internal Communications Officer- Koshal Makhija
- Freshman Representative- Mashal Waqar
- Sophomore Representative- Omar Adil
- Junior Representative- Mechelle Jayawickrema
- Senior Representative- Nija Arora
The Sports Club participated in the Dubai International Academic City (DIAC) Sports Cup 2013. About forty-five students took part in all sporting activities including basketball, volleyball, table tennis, athletics, football, cricket, tennis, squash, badminton and swimming.
Palestinian Cultural Club
The Palestinian Cultural Club was created in 2012 whose goal is to represent the Palestinian community at RIT Dubai. Its main aim is to preserve the Palestinian history, heritage and revive the culture. We also aim to communicate with the different Palestinian organizations and figures inside and outside UAE and to connect the Palestinian community in the UAE to the Palestinian community in Palestine. One of the current projects that the club has started a charity campaign Donate to Educate to help educate students in Palestine.
- The first event was the inauguration of the club where the General Consul of Palestine was invited for this opening ceremony of the club, followed by a rich night with the Palestinian Folklore.
- The club attended a charity dinner event at Atlantis that was organized by the General Consulate of the State of Palestine for the financial support box of the President of Palestine Mahmmoud Abbas to aid the Palestinian students in Lebanon.
- The club held the event RIT got Talent.
- Members attended the PCRF charity marathon which was organized by Standard Charter and held in Dubai Mall Boulevard.
- The club started a charity campaign Donate to Educate to help educate students in Palestine.
- Attended the DSO Bazaar for the charity campaign Donate to Educate.
- The club wanted to expand the charity campaign to get more support of people within the UAE, with the collaboration with the General Consulate of the State of Palestine and the other Palestinian Clubs in the UAE; the PCC-RIT could held an event "Voices from the Heart of the Land" on the same day of "Yawm Al-Ard/The Land Day" to help the blind children in Palestine.
Arab Orients Club
The Arab Orients club was created in March 2012 to introduce the different Arab cultures of the world to the universities in the United Arab Emirates. The Arab Orients Club held an ‘all you can eat’ event in April 2013 with the participation of staff and students.
The Humanitarian Club
The RIT Dubai Humanitarian Club was created in 2011 for students who share the common interest to collaborate and work towards making the community a better place. The club collaborated with the Sharjah book shelter in early 2012.
- Rochester Institute of Technology - Dubai is located in Dubai Silicon Oasis, a technological park located between Academic city and Mirdiff city center.
- The University is about 15 minutes away from the Dubai International Airport, and 15 minutes away from the student housing, Etisalat Academy.
- "RIT - Prospectus" (PDF). Rochester Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2008-04-03.
- "RIT - RIT Archives - Spirit of RIT". Rochester Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2008-04-03.
- RIT goes to the UAE
- http://www.rit.edu/news/?v=45936 RIT Dubai News Statement
- http://www.ameinfo.com/163823.html President for RIT-Dubai University at Dubai Silicon Oasis