|Industry||Retail Outdoor Industry|
|Founded||Chattanooga, Tennessee 1987|
|Key people||Dawson Wheeler and Marvin Webb, co-founders, Jonathan Scott, vice president|
|Products||Clothing and outdoor equipment|
Rock/Creek is a Chattanooga, Tennessee-based sporting goods retailer of clothing and gear for rock climbing, paddling, trail running, hiking, camping and travel. Founded as Rock/Creek Outfitters and Canoeist Headquarters in 1987 when Dawson Wheeler and Marvin Webb purchased Canoeist Headquarters, the company became known as Rock/Creek Outfitters. The name was shortened to Rock/Creek in 2007.
In November 2007, Rock/Creek was named one of the top 25 specialty outdoor retailers by Outdoor Business magazine. In 2009, SNEWS & Backpacker Magazine chose Rock/Creek as Retailer of the Year for Best Online Business.
Rock/Creek has a total of five brick-and-mortar locations. They have two flagship stores, one in downtown Chattanooga and the other at Hamilton Place Mall, two paddling stores and an e-commerce site. In 2007, Rock/Creek opened a new store in the Two North Shore development in downtown Chattanooga. The project, developed by CS & Associates and Greenlife Grocery, has been designed with U.S. Green Building Council's LEED standards in mind. The latest store to open is located at The Block, the largest adaptive reuse project in Chattanooga.
Rock/Creek selected Art Technology Group to revamp its Web site in Fall 2010. Since that date, the company has been listed on Internet Retailer's "Second 500" list. For the 2012 list they were #644.
Rock/Creek regularly gives money to environmental non-profits and sponsors trail building and cleanup efforts. The retailer created the Rock/Creek StumpJump 50k in 2002 to raise awareness and funds for the Cumberland Trail. This race has expanded and now forms part of a larger Rock/Creek Trail Series, with trail running events throughout the year ranging from 5 miles to 50 miles. Past campaigns have included working with Chaco footwear to send used shoes to orphans in Nepal through the dZi Foundation.
Rock/Creek is a member of the Grassroots Outdoor Alliance, a group of independent outdoor shops dedicated to the sustainability of the specialty outdoor channel and the quality of the outdoor enthusiast’s experience. The retailer is also a member of the Outdoor Industry Association.
- "16 Grassroots Outdoor Alliance members receive honors". Snews. 2007-11-16. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- "Retailer of the Year - Best Online Business: Rock/Creek puts a personal touch on web sales". Snews. 2009-05-11. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "Two North Shore Opens in North Chattanooga with Green Theme". WDEF News12. November 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- "Idealism, marketing drives companies to go green". Chattanooga Times Free Press. 2007-04-29. Archived from the original on 2007-11-15. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- "Joining the Block Party". Get Out Chattanooga. 2012-12-31. Retrieved 2014-02-03.
- "Rock/Creek to Revamp Web Presence with ATG Commerce". MarketWatch.com. 2010-05-17. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- "Internet Retailer Second 500 List". internetretailer.com. 2012-02-14. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- "Rock/Creek Trail Series – SE Tennessee". ultrarunningnews.com. 2010-02-27. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- "If the Shoe Fits, Spare It- Rock/Creek, Chaco and dZi". Treehugger.com. 2006-07-16. Retrieved 2008-01-11.
- "About the Grassroots Outdoor Alliance". Grassroots Outdoor Alliance. 2007-03-13. Archived from the original on 2007-12-17. Retrieved 2008-01-11.