Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo
|"Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo"|
|Song by Johnny Winter from the album Johnny Winter And|
|Label||Columbia (Cat. no. C 30221)|
|Producer||Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer|
"Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" is a rock song written by Rick Derringer. It was first recorded by Johnny Winter with Derringer in 1970. In 1973, Derringer recorded a solo version and it became his only Top 40 chart hit, peaking on the Billboard Hot 100 at #23. They both have recorded several live versions of the song and several other artists have recorded their interpretations.
Johnny Winter And versions
"Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" was recorded by Johnny Winter in 1970 with his band "Johnny Winter And", which included Rick Derringer and other former members of The McCoys. According to Derringer, "The first song I wrote for Johnny was 'Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo'. 'Rock and Roll' to satisfy the rock 'n' roll that I was supposed to be bringing into the picture, and 'Hoochie Koo' to satisfy the king of blues sensibility that Johnny was supposed to maintain. And it worked out great". However, for Winter "The reviewers liked it. I didn't think 'Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo' would do as well as it did 'cause it was a little corny. Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo. You don't ever know". The song is included on the Johnny Winter And album, which reached #154 in the Billboard 200 album chart. In 1970, they recorded the song during the Live Johnny Winter And tour, which was released as Live at the Fillmore East 10/3/70 in 2010. Together they later recorded the song with Winter's brother for Edgar Winter's White Trash live 1972 album Roadwork.
Rick Derringer versions
In 1973, the song's author, Rick Derringer recorded the song for his solo debut album All American Boy. The song was released as a single and reached #23 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it his highest showing in the record charts. It has become a staple of 1970s rock music compilations and classic rock radio. Derringer has recorded several live versions of the "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" over the years. In 2012, Derringer recorded and released a new version of the song with lyrics reflecting his Christian beliefs. Titled "Read The Word And Live It Too," the song also credited a "Big D" for the clumsily rapped verses.
Other versions and appearances
In 1975, a live performance of "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" by Van Halen was recorded, although it is officially unreleased. Suzi Quatro recorded the song for her 1978 album If You Knew Suzi.... Canadian funk/rock band Bootsauce covered the song on their 1993 album Sleeping Bootie. Superfly included it on their albums My Best of My Life (2009) and Wildflower & Cover Songs: Complete Best 'Track 3' (2010).
Derringer's solo version of "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" has appeared in several films, including The Spirit of '76 (1990), Rush (1991), Dazed and Confused (1993), Stag (1997), and What a Girl Wants (2003). The song is available as a downloadable track for the music video game Guitar Hero III Mobile and a cover version is featured in the Xbox 360 version of Guitar Hero II.
Derringer played the song live with the 11th Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band in the November 2011 tour. The band also features Edgar Winter.
Derringer recorded a new version of the song in 1987 with World Wrestling Federation announcer "Mean Gene" Okerlund for the second WWF album, Piledriver. Derringer also performed in the song's music video alongside Okerlund and Hulk Hogan.
In 2008, the Los Angeles based metal band My Ruin, covered the song on their 2008 UK tour. The song was captured on film and the band released the video officially via their YouTube profile in March 2009.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo – Song Review". allmusic. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- Sullivan, Mary Lou (2010). Raisin' Cain: The Wild and Raucous Story of Johnny Winter. Backbeat Books. pp. 139–40. ISBN 978-0-87930-973-2.
- "Johnny Winter – Billboard albums". allmusic. 2006. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- A promotional single of "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" b/w "21st Century Man" was also released in 1970 (Columbia 4-45260).
- Bubba (27 Jul 2007). "Bubba-Rocks: Van Halen - 1975 and 1976 - School's Out" (in English). Bubba-Rocks. Archived from the original on 13 Feb 2008. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "Rick Derringer – Filmography". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- "MYRUIN.NET: "Excommunicated " - Video Premiere Announcement!". Miruinaporvida.blogspot.com. May 13, 2011. Retrieved May 21, 2012.
- My Ruin (10 Mar 2009). < "MY RUIN - Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo - YouTube". myruin (in English). You-Tube. Retrieved 27 May 2012.