Rock Island District
The Rock Island District (RI) is a Metra commuter rail line from Chicago, Illinois, United States, southwest to Joliet. Metra does not refer to its lines by color, but the timetable accents for the Rock Island District line are "Rocket Red". This refers to the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad's Rocket passenger trains.
In April 2013 the public timetable shows 34 weekday trains out of Chicago including 23 to Joliet and 10 to Blue Island.
The track is owned by Metra, bought from the bankrupt Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad for $35 million in December 1982. The Regional Transportation Authority had signed a contract with the Rock Island in 1976 to fund service, and in 1980 the Chicago and North Western Railway began operating the Rock Island District. In spring 1981 the C&NW stepped away, and the Northeast Illinois Regional Commuter Railroad Corporation (Metra) was formed to take over operations.
The Rock Island District consists of the former Rock Island main line to Joliet and the slightly longer Suburban Line that loops to the west between Gresham and Blue Island. Most trains use the latter; the two stations on that part of the main line are served only during rush hour.
The Suburban Line was built in 1870 as a steam dummy line, splitting from the main line just north of 89th Street, running west along 89th and turning south to the present line at the S-curve just south of 89th. The crossing of the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway midway along 89th was known as Dummy Crossing. In the early 1890s the line was extended north in conjunction with the expansion of the Chicago Terminal Transfer Railroad, and the portion on 89th was removed.
A new station at 35th Street and Federal Street opened on April, 3 2011 to serve U.S. Cellular Field and the Illinois Institute of Technology. It was named 35th Street/'Lou' Jones/Bronzeville Station after Lovana Jones who was an Illinois State Representative in the Bronzeville neighborhood.
- LaSalle Street
- 35th Street/'Lou' Jones/Bronzeville (Flag Stop)
- 91st Street - Beverly Hills
- 95th Street - Beverly Hills
- 99th Street - Beverly Hills
- 103rd Street - Beverly Hills
- 107th Street - Beverly Hills
- 111th Street - Morgan Park
- 115th Street - Morgan Park
- 119th Street - Blue Island
- 123rd Street - Blue Island (Flag Stop)
- Prairie Street - Blue Island (Flag Stop)
- Blue Island - Vermont Street
- Robbins (Flag Stop)
- Oak Forest
- Tinley Park
- Tinley Park - 80th Avenue
- Mokena - Hickory Creek
- Mokena - Front Street
- New Lenox
During rush hour mainline and branch line trains are split. A few rush-hour trains make main line stops between Gresham and Blue Island - Vermont Street:
- "Ridership Reports - System Facts". Metra. Retrieved April 6, 2010.
- "Did you know?". On the Bi-Level: 3. June 2009.
- Metra. "Metra to open new station at 35th St. in time for White Sox home opener". Retrieved 2011-12-06.
- http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/ri/station.35TH.html Bronzeville Jones Station Page
- J. David Ingles, Metra: "Best Commuter Train", Trains July 1993
Media related to Metra Rock Island District at Wikimedia Commons