Rock Point, Arizona
|Rock Point, Arizona|
Location in Apache County and the state of Arizona
|• Total||14.2 sq mi (36.7 km2)|
|• Land||14.2 sq mi (36.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||5,003 ft (1,525 m)|
|• Density||45/sq mi (17.5/km2)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||0010415|
Rock Point (Navajo: Tsé Nitsaa Deezʼáhí, "The rock extends") is a census-designated place (CDP) in the Dinetah, in Apache County, Arizona, United States. The population was 642 at the 2010 census. Its name is descriptive of the point where Chinle Creek enters some high sandstone walls.
Rock Point is located at (36.719317, -109.625001).
As of the census of 2000, there were 724 people, 168 households, and 150 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 52.5 people per square mile (20.3/km²). There were 229 housing units at an average density of 16.6/sq mi (6.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.79% Native American, 1.66% White, 0.14% from other races, and 0.41% from two or more races. 0.14% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 168 households out of which 64.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.9% were married couples living together, 22.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 10.7% were non-families. 8.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 1.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.31 and the average family size was 4.63.
In the CDP the age distribution of the population shows 49.0% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 13.3% from 45 to 64, and 3.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 19 years. For every 100 females there were 94.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.4 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $25,208, and the median income for a family was $34,500. Males had a median income of $24,671 versus $26,875 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $8,320. About 33.2% of families and 37.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 41.6% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
Rock Point is a part of the Red Mesa Unified School District.
Furthermore, Rock Point is home to Concordia Charter School-Navajo Mission which serves local Elementary students. This school was formerly known as the Navajo Evangelical Lutheran Mission School.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Rock Point CDP, Arizona". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 29, 2013.
- Byrd H. Granger (1960). Arizona Place Names. University of Arizona Press. p. 20. Retrieved 8 December 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "History of Red Mesa Schools." Red Mesa Unified School District. Retrieved on September 20, 2010.
- "National Directory." Bureau of Indian Education. 8 (17/42). Updated March 2009. Retrieved on September 20, 2010.