Rock Sugar (band)
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Heavy metal, pop|
Rock Sugar is a Los Angeles-based band known for their mashups of pop music and heavy metal from the 1980s.
The band's fictitious backstory claims the sound was achieved when the metal band was stranded on a desert island in 1989 with a CD player, plenty of batteries and the CD collection of a 13-year-old girl. The band signed with Paradigm in April 2010. In April 2012, the band signed with ARM Entertainment (Artist Representation and Management).
Lead singer Jess Harnell is better known for his voice work in film and television than his musical career. Harnell voiced Wakko Warner in the Animaniacs cartoon series, voiced Secret Squirrel in the 2 Stupid Dogs shorts and is the current official voice actor for Disney's Brer Rabbit. He has also served as the announcer for America's Funniest Home Videos for more than 10 years. In 1995, he released a solo album entitled The Sound of Your Voice.
Drummer, keyboardist and vocalist Alexander Track received a Master of Music Degree from the Academy of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna, Austria and won a Grammy Award for engineering in 2006. He is the President and CEO of Track Entertainment Studios in Los Angeles, California. He co-produced, recorded, engineered and co-mixed Rock Sugar's debut CD: Reimaginator.
The band's tour schedule includes rock festivals, once sharing the stage with members of Guns N' Roses. In April 2010, the band appeared on the Food Network show Private Chefs of Beverly Hills in an episode where the chefs prepare food for the band's CD release party. In April/May 2010, the band performed at the Melodic Rock Fest 2 in Elgin, Illinois sharing the stage with melodic rock bands Danger Danger, Y&T and Winger among others. The band has performed for foundations including the Toby Keith Foundation in Oklahoma and Larry the Cable Guy's Git-R-Done Foundation (Florida). In May 2010, the band performed two shows at the Beale Street Music Festival in Memphis, Tennessee. Along with securing residencies at the House of Blues, Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles and in Las Vegas, Rock Sugar shared the stage with the Scorpions and RATT in Memphis, Queensryche in Colorado, Poison in Idaho, Tesla in Albuquerque, Kid Rock, Saliva, Skillet and Hinder in Wisconsin, Cinderella in Montana among many others. Rock Sugar has been featured on the Fox Television Network on Fox & Friends performing in New York, Avenue of the Americas. On 12 June 2010, Rock Sugar played at the Download Festival at Donington Park, England. They appeared at the festival again in 2011. Performances in 2012 included the Mid-South Rally for the Wounded Warrior Project, Mississippi and shows in Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, Arkansas, Montana and at the Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles.
Re-Imaginator is a 2010 album by the band and is their only album so far. Each song is a mash-up of two or more songs. Each song has at least one rock or heavy metal song and one pop or pop rock song.
- Reinartz, Joe (2010-04-05). "Yet Another Rock Sugar Update". Pollstar. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "Rock Sugar". ReverbNation. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- Domagall, John. "Artist Representation and Management".
- Joe Reinartz. "A Piece Of The Rock (Sugar)". Pollstar. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Johnny Five announces his departure from Rock Sugar on their Facebook page". Facebook.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Rock Sugar introduces Ken Cain on their Facebook page". Facebook.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Slash among latest additions to Download 2010 festival bill". Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "Rockin' Rolls". Food Network. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- Christopher Blank (2010-05-02). "Forecasts worse than weather for Beale Street Music Festival". The Commercial Appeal. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- Joe Reinartz (2010-07-14). "Steady Diet Of Rock Sugar". Pollstar. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Las Vegas Tours & Buggy Rentals". Sunbuggy.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Scorpions at Mud Island Amphitheatre (Memphis, TN) on 11 Jul 2010 –". Last.fm. 2013-11-26. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- [dead link]
- "Poison — Idaho Falls — Sandy Downs — 10 August 2011". Songkick. 2011-08-10. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Tesla in Albuquerque, NM - Jul 2, 2011 7:00 PM". Eventful. 2011-07-02. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- [dead link]
- "Rock Sugar Rocks The West". VO Buzz Weekly. 2012-08-20. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Rock Sugar Performs On Fox & Friends Summer Concert Series - Pictures". Zimbio. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "mswwpr Resources and Information. This website is for sale!". mswwpr.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- [dead link]