Rock You Like a Hurricane
|"Rock You Like a Hurricane"|
|Single by Scorpions|
|from the album Love at First Sting|
|Format||Vinyl LP, Cassette, CD|
|Genre||Heavy metal, hard rock|
|Writer(s)||Rudolf Schenker, Klaus Meine, Herman Rarebell|
|Scorpions singles chronology|
"Rock You Like a Hurricane" reached number 25 in the USA Billboard Hot 100, greatly contributing to the album's success, and MTV put the video in heavy rotation.
In 2006, VH1 named "Rock You Like a Hurricane" number 31 on their 40 Greatest Metal Songs and in 2009 it was named the 18th greatest hard rock song of all time also by VH1. On November 15, 2010, it was named the number 4 best riff of the 80's.
The racetrack depicted on the single's sleeve corresponds to the Circuito Permanente de Jerez, located in Spain.
A new version was recorded in 2000 as "Hurricane 2000" on the album Moment of Glory, featuring Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra backing the track. In the same way, it was titled "Hurricane 2001" when played on the follow-up Acoustica.
The lyrics of "Rock You Like a Hurricane" also reference the title of the album on which it originally appeared – Love at First Sting.
- The song has been performed by Kelly Hansen (Foreigner) and guitarist George Lynch (Dokken), by metal band Sinergy.
- The band Radio Cult released a cover of the song on their album "Mix Tape" in 2006. Interestingly, singer / guitarist, Bambi Lynn, is endorsed by Dean Guitars and plays a Michael Schenker Flying V, which was used to record their version of this song.
- The song is heavily sampled by, and inspires the name of, MC Lars's "Hurricane Fresh".
- In September 2008, Doro Pesch performed with the Scorpions in the ISS Dome as part of Doro's 25 Years in Rock show.
- The song was covered by Japanese power metal band Galneryus for their 2010 cover album, Voices from the Past III.
- In June 2011, Bon Jovi covered this song live as a medley with "Bad Medicine" during their show in Munich.
- The song is covered by Julianne Hough and Tom Cruise on the soundtrack for the musical Rock of Ages.
|Canadian RPM Top 100||37|
|France Top 50||17|
|UK Singles Chart||78|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||25|
|U.S. Billboard Top Rock Tracks||5|
In popular culture
Film, television, and video games
The song, as well as its chorus ("Here I am/Rock you like a hurricane"), have become ubiquitous in North American popular culture, being used in numerous shows and films, including Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Simpsons, Hope & Faith, Trailer Park Boys, Jawbreaker, Knocked Up, Little Nicky, The Cleveland Show, and Role Models. It is also frequently used in television commercials and other promos, including for Blades of Glory, The Iron Giant, Human Weapon, and Monsters vs. Aliens. It has been featured in commercials for EA Sports NHL 99 video game featuring Eric Lindros, T.G.I. Friday's commercial for the sizzling steak and chicken fajitas, and NASCAR driver Kasey Kahne dances to the song in a promotional spot for Allstate. The guitar riff introduction was featured in an ad for Windows 7 from Microsoft.
This song was in The Simpsons Game at some points in the end. Due to the widespread prevalence of the song in popular culture, it is often alluded to or parodied (without being played).
"Rock You Like a Hurricane" is also common in sport settings, being the unofficial anthem for numerous teams, including Tulsa Golden Hurricane, Miami Hurricanes (who won their first football national championship just before the song was released), Carolina Hurricanes, Buffalo Sabres (who use the 2000 orchestral version), and JYP. In 2006, the song caused a controversy when used by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers cheerleaders in their halftime routine during a game against the New Orleans Saints. Some attending the game saw the song as being played in poor taste, given the extensive damage caused to New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina. It is used as the theme song of Nick Evans of the New York Mets, and previously, at the United Center after Chicago Blackhawks right wing Patrick Kane scores a goal.
The song is referenced in Dave Eggers' 2004 novel You Shall Know Our Velocity, in which the main characters attempt to anonymously distribute money on a round the world trip by taping parcels containing cash and bearing the line "Here I am Rock You Like a Hurricane" onto houses, animals and other objects.
- "VH1 40 Greatest Metal Songs", May 1–4, 2006, VH1 Channel, reported by VH1.com; last accessed September 10, 2006.
- "Vh1 Top 100 Hard Rock Songs". January 1, 2009. Retrieved February 7, 2009.
- "Start Me Up: The Top 10 Riffs of the 1980s". Gibson.com. Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- "Dean Guitars website – Bambi Lynn Artist Page". Deanguitars.com. Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- Doro & Scorpions – Rock You Like A Hurricane Live In Düsseldorf 2008[dead link]
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, "The Last One" , "Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming"; Trailer Park Boys, "Friends of the Road"