Rockstar Consortium Inc., originally named Rockstar Bidco, is a consortium formed to negotiate licensing for patents acquired from the bankrupt multinational telecommunications and data networking equipment manufacturer Nortel. Members of the consortium are Apple, Inc., BlackBerry, Ericsson, Microsoft, and Sony. Rockstar is a patent holding non-practicing entity (NPE) and submitted the winning US$4.5 billion bid for the Nortel patents at a week-long auction held in New York in June 2011.
Spherix Incorporated, a company originally founded by Gilbert Levin, has acquired four families of mobile communication patents from the Rockstar Consortium in exchange for initial consideration of up-front cash and Spherix common stock. Rockstar will also receive a percentage of future profits from Spherix after recovery of patent monetization costs and an initial priority return on investment to Spherix.
In October 2013, Rockstar had initiated legal action against eight companies, including Google, Huawei and Samsung, as well as other makers of Android phones including Asustek, HTC, LG Electronics, Pantech, and ZTE.
In December 2013, Google initiated legal action against Rockstar, with a countersuit filed in San Jose, California.
In November 2014, it was reported that Rockstar and Google had come to a settlement.
- McMillan, Robert (May 21, 2012). "How Apple and Microsoft Armed 4,000 Patent Warheads". Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Rockstar Consortium Launches Patent Attacks".
- Hill, Bert (April 18, 2012). "Transforming Nortel’s patents into gold: Rockstar Consortium sets up shop in Kanata". Ottawa Citizen. p. D1. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "Rockstar Consortium Receives Green Light From Department Of Justice".
- "Star Man". Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- "Spherix Closes Rockstar Patent Acquisition Transaction". Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- "Tech's 8 Most Fearsome 'Patent Trolls'". 2012-11-25. Retrieved 2013-12-20.
- "How Apple and Microsoft Armed 4,000 Patent Warheads". 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2013-12-20.
- "New Patent cases involving Rockstar". Docket Alarm, Inc. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- Levine, Dan (October 31, 2013). "Google, Samsung, Huawei sued over Nortel patents". Reuters.
- Mullin, Joe (November 1, 2013). "Patent war goes nuclear: Microsoft, Apple-owned "Rockstar" sues Google". Ars Technica.
- Michelle Meyers (26 December 2013). "Google fights back against Rockstar patent group". CNET.
- Jeff John Roberts (20 November 2014). "Apple-backed Rockstar ends patent war on Android, deal suggests". GigaOM.
- Ashby Jones (23 December 2014). "Rockstar Consortium to Sell 4,000 Patents to RPX Corp. for $900 Million". Wall Street Journal.
|This technology article about a corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|