|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
|Single by Bruce Springsteen featuring Michelle Moore|
|from the album Wrecking Ball|
|Released||April 21, 2012|
|Format||7-inch vinyl (limited edition)|
|Genre||Rock, rap rock, gospel|
|Producer(s)||Ron Aniello, Bruce Springsteen, Jon Landau (executive prod.)|
|Bruce Springsteen featuring Michelle Moore singles chronology|
"Rocky Ground" is a song written and recorded by American musician Bruce Springsteen. It is the second single from his album Wrecking Ball and was released exclusively in select stores as a limited-edition 7-inch 45-rpm vinyl single as a part of Record Store Day on April 21, 2012.
The song made its live debut on March 9, 2012, during Springsteen and the E Street Band's performance at the Apollo Theatre.
A music video for the song was first teased on Facebook and Twitter on May 24, 2012, and released the following day on May 25, 2012. The music video features the lyrics being written down on paper in sync with the song, interchanging this with a series of urban and suburban imagery.
On June 15, 2012, a video for the "Modern Mix" of the song was released. The remixed version was produced by Ron Aniello and Matthew Koma.
Lyrics and music
The song is heavy with a religious theme and features a gospel choir backing Springsteen. Singer Michelle Moore provides backing vocals along with raping, a first for a Springsteen album. Springsteen has stated he originally attempted to do the rapping himself but was not satisfied with the sound.
- "Rocky Ground: 4:40
- "The Promise (Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band live from the Carousel, Asbury Park)": 5:59
- Bruce Springsteen – lead vocal, guitars, percussion & loops
- Ron Aniello – drums & loops
- Art Baron – euphonium & tuba
- Clark Gayton – trombone
- Charlie Giordano – piano & organ
- Stan Harrison – clarinet, alto saxophone & tenor saxophone
- Dan Levine – alto horn & euphonium
- Ed Manion – tenor saxophone & baritone saxophone
- Michelle Moore – backing vocals & rapping
- Curt Ramm – trumpet & cornet
- Patti Scialfa – backing vocals
- Victorious Gospel Choir – backing vocals