Rocky View County
|Rocky View County|
View of the Rockies and Foothills
|Census division||No. 6|
|• Reeve||Margaret Bahcheli|
|• Governing body|
|• Manager||Kevin Greig|
|• Office location||Calgary|
|• Total||3,885.41 km2 (1,500.17 sq mi)|
|• Density||9.4/km2 (24/sq mi)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC−7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC−6)|
Rocky View County is a municipal district located outside of the City of Calgary, in southern Alberta. It surrounds the eastern, northern, and western parts of city. Rocky View County is part of Calgary's Census Metropolitan Area and is not a member of the Calgary Regional Partnership. Effective April 7, 2009, the council administration voted to change the region's name to Rocky View County, from the previous name of Municipal District of Rocky View No. 44.
Rocky View was named in December 1955. In a local competition to rename the newly amalgamated municipal district (the Municipal District of Calgary), "Rocky View" was submitted by Mr. Leslie Burwash, a local student from Balzac. Second and third place proposals were "Bow View" and "Chinook". The name "Rocky View" is descriptive - most areas within the Municipal District of Rocky View have panoramic views of the Rocky Mountains, looking to the west.
Rocky View is strategically located on the Calgary-Edmonton Corridor, and is crossed north south by Highway 2 and east west by Highway 1; another major highway in Rocky View is Highway 9, which is a major transit route between Calgary and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Both the Canadian Pacific Railway and Canadian National Railway have their main north/south routes from Calgary to Edmonton through Rocky View County, as well; the CPR is routed through Airdrie and Crossfield, while the CNR is routed through the town of Irricana and the village of Beiseker.
Communities and localities
- Other places
Rocky View County's 2013 municipal census counted a population of 38,055, a 6.4% increase over its adjusted 2011 federal census population of 35,754. Its previous 2006 municipal census counted a population of 34,597.
In the 2011 Census, Rocky View County had a population of 36,461 living in 12,077 of its 12,810 total dwellings, a 9.9% change from its 2006 adjusted population of 33,173. With a land area of 3,885.41 km2 (1,500.17 sq mi), it had a population density of 9.4/km2 (24.3/sq mi) in 2011. Following Airdrie’s 2011 annexation, Statistics Canada adjusted Rocky View County's 2011 population downward by 707 people to 35,754.
According to the 2006 federal census, Rocky View County had a population of 34,171 living in 11,604 dwellings, a 14.2% increase from 2001. It had a land area of 4,014.89 km2 (1,550.16 sq mi) and a population density of 8.5/km2 (22/sq mi).
Rocky View County has a council consisting of elected officials representing nine electoral divisions. Municipal elections, organized by Alberta Municipal Affairs, are held every four years, the last being October 21, 2013.
Each October, the councillors elect the reeve. The position of deputy reeve is also an elected position, voted on by the councillors every year in October.
The Rocky View Council consists of:
- Reeve Margaret Bahcheli - Division 3
- Councillor Liz Breakey - Division 1
- Councillor Jerry Arshinoff - Division 2
- Councillor Rolly Ashdown - Division 4
- Councillor Earl Solberg - Division 5
- Councillor Greg Boehlke - Division 6
- Councillor Lois Habberfield - Division 7
- Councillor Al Sacuta - Division 8
- Councillor Bruce Kendall - Division 9
Rocky View's northeast and southeast (east of Calgary, north of the Bow River) is part of the Federal Electoral district (also known as a riding) of Crowfoot. This riding has been represented by Kevin Sorenson, who was originally elected as a member of the Reform Party then again as a member of the Canadian Alliance and currently of the Conservative Party.
Rocky View's southwest (south of the Bow River and west of Calgary) is part of the Federal Electoral district (also known as a riding) of Macleod. This riding has been represented by Ted Menzies, who was originally elected as a member of the Canadian Alliance and currently of the Conservative Party.
Rocky View's northwest is part of the Federal Electoral district (also known as a riding) of Wild Rose. This riding is represented by Blake Richards, who was elected as a member of the Conservative Party on October 14, 2008.
Rocky View and the Calgary Region are also represented by two Federal Senators:
- Airdrie Airport
- Beiseker Airport
- Big Hill Springs Provincial Park
- Bragg Creek - Community Centre and historic downtown
- Bragg Creek Provincial Park
- Calaway Park
- Crossiron Mills
- Pioneer Acres Museum
- Springbank Airport
- "Municipal Officials Search". Alberta Municipal Affairs. November 28, 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Airdrie, City (Census Subdivision), Alberta". Statistics Canada. 2012-06-20. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Specialized and Rural Municipalities and Their Communities". Alberta Municipal Affairs. 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- "Standard Geographical Classification (SGC) 2006, Economic Regions: 4806014 - Rocky View No. 44, geographical codes and localities, 2006". Statistics Canada. 2010-03-05. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- "Rocky View’s Total Population Results are In". Rocky View County. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "Interim List of Changes to Municipal Boundaries, Status, and Names From January 2, 2011 to January 1, 2012 (Table 1 – Changes to census subdivisions in alphabetical order by province and territory)" (XLSX). Statistics Canada. November 14, 2012. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "Alberta 2009 Official Population List". Alberta Municipal Affairs. September 15, 2009. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- Statistics Canada (Census 2006). "Rocky View No. 44 - Community Profile". Retrieved 2007-06-11. Check date values in:
- "Councillors". Rocky View County. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
||Mountain View County||Kneehill County|
|Municipal District of Bighorn No. 8||Wheatland County|
|Kananaskis Improvement District||City of Calgary
Municipal District of Foothills No. 31