Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
|Rocky Vista University |
College of Osteopathic Medicine
|Chairman||Vanessa Sanchez Ph.D.|
|President||Cheryl D. Lovell, Ph.D.|
|Dean||Thomas Told, D.O. (Interim Dean)|
|Location||Parker, Colorado, United States|
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM) is a for-profit osteopathic medical school located in Parker, Colorado. The school grants the degree Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, and admitted its inaugural class of medical students in August 2008.
RVUCOM broke ground on March 23, 2007 and admitted its first class in August 2008. The most recent matriculating class of 2017 had an average MCAT score of 28.33, science GPA of 3.6 and a cumulative GPA of 3.6.
RVUCOM is notable for being the first and only modern day for-profit medical school operating in the United States. As such, its opening has generated controversy. Critics have raised concerns that a for-profit school will be beholden to investors, and lack credibility. Supporters say that the school will be held to the same academic and accreditation standards as other medical schools.
Rocky Vista LLC is owned by Yife Tien and his wife Lucy Chua Tien, MD, and governed by a Board of Trustees. Castle Pines Holdings LLC was established as a holding company to control the Tiens' interest in Rocky Vista LLC and provide stability in the event of Tien's death or incapacity.
Parkview Medical Center in Pueblo, Colorado, has been awarded a 5-year $770,000 federal grant from the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) to train primary care internal medicine residents. Parkview has developed a new osteopathic internal medicine residency program which matriculated its first trainees in July 2012. The grant was a joint effort of Parkview Medical Center and Rocky Vista University along with Rocky Mountain OPTI. RVUCOM and Rocky Mountain OPTI are currently working to establish additional residency programs in Colorado and Wyoming.
- "Board of Trustees". RVU-COM. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- Rocky Vista University. Vista View Newsletter. (August 2012) Vol.5, No.1. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- RVUCOM Clinic. "RVUCOM clinic". Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- "Accreditation Press Release". Rocky Vista University. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine". AOA. Retrieved 24 December 2011.
- Croasdale, Myrle. "First for-profit med school nears approval". amed news. Retrieved 24 December 2011.
- Whelan, David (29 September 2008). "An Uncommon Practice". Forbes. Retrieved 24 December 2011.
- "Castle Pines Holding". Rocky Vista. Retrieved 24 December 2011.
- RVUCOM. "Vista View Newsletter". Retrieved 16 October 2011.