In 1995 Drury established Glazier Systems, one of New Zealand's leading software development and consulting companies. Glazier Systems was acquired by Advantage Group in 1999 and continues today as Intergen.
Drury subsequently founded and served as CEO of AfterMail which was acquired by Quest Software (subsequently acquired by Dell) for US$15 million in January 2006 and subsequently won Best Exchange Product at Microsoft TechEd 2006 in Boston.
In 2000, Drury co-founded Context Connect, a US-based company developing technology to increase connectivity across different mobile networks. He continues as CTO for the Boston-based company which now has a US patent for its mobile directory applications.
Through his career Drury has maintained a close relationship with Microsoft and was selected as New Zealand's first representative on the Microsoft MSDN Regional Director program, holding the role from 1997 to 2000. He achieved Microsoft MVP status for his work in the early days of Active Server Pages.
In 2005 Drury joined the board of TradeMe, New Zealand's most successful eCommerce internet site, as an independent director. Rod continued to sit on the Trade Me Advisory Board following the sale of Trade Me to Fairfax Media in 2006.
In August 2006 he joined NZ Trade & Enterprise Beachheads Program Advisory Board. He is a member of the New Zealand Institute of Directors.
Drury was also awarded the Hi-Tech New Zealand "Entrepreneur of the Year" award in 2006 and 2007.
In August 2008 Drury was conferred the title of Honorary Fellow of the New Zealand Computer Society (HFNZCS) during the 2008 NZ Computerworld Excellence Awards. He is only the 21st person to be awarded the title in the Society's 48-year history.
- "New Zealand Open Source Awards". 2007-10-17. Archived from the original on 2008-05-09. Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- "Hi-Tech Awards site". 2007-11-03. Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- "Honorary Fellows of the IITP (HFIITP)". About the IITP. Institute of IT Professionals of New Zealand. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Anthony Hubbard (2014-01-10). "Market whizz-kid enjoys Kiwi lifestyle". The Dominion Post.
- Rod Drury's Blog
- Repeat offender, Idealog magazine, January/February 2007
- Serial entrepreneurs, Unlimited Magazine, Issue 82, May 2006
- Rod Drury talks about the future of social media and technology Social Media NZ Website
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2008)|