Professor Rod Ellis is the deputy head of the Department of Applied Language Studies and Linguistics at the University of Auckland, New Zealand. In addition, he is a Cheung Kong Scholar Chair Professor at Shanghai International Studies University, and also a TESOL Professor and Chair of the Graduate School of Education at Anaheim University, where he teaches various online courses in the Master of Arts in TESOL. He has also taught in positions in Zambia, the UK, and at Temple University in Japan and the United States. He is currently editor of the journal Language Teaching Research, and is also a senior advisor to the Asian EFL Journal.
Ellis received a Master of Arts from the University of Leeds, a Master of Education from the University of Bristol, and a doctorate from the University of London. He is a leading theorist of task-based language learning, and has published two books and more than a dozen articles on the subject. Since 1980, he has authored more than 30 books and 100 articles on second language acquisition.
His research interests include: Second language acquisition, individual learner differences, form-focussed instruction, teacher education, course design and methodology of language teaching.
- 1984 Classroom Second Language Development. Oxford: Pergamon (subsequently reprinted in 1987 by Prentice Hall).
- 1985 Understanding Second Language Acquisition. Oxford: Oxford University Press (awarded prize by British Association of Applied Linguists).
- 1987 Second Language Acquisition in Context (ed.), Prentice Hall (awarded prize by Modern Language Association of America).
- 1989 Classroom Language Learning (ed), Special issue of System (Vol. 17,2).
- 1990 Instructed Second Language Acquisition, Oxford: Blackwell.
- 1992 Second Language Acquisition and Language Pedagogy, Clevedon, Avon: Multilingual Matters.
- 1993 The Study of Second Language Acquisition, Oxford: Oxford University Press (awarded the Duke of Edinburgh prize for the best book in applied linguistics)
- 1998 Research and Language Teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- 1999 First Steps in Reading: A Teacher’s handbook for Using Starter Readers in the Primary School. Oxford: Heinemann.
- 1999 Learning a Second Language Through Interaction. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- 2000 "Form-Focussed Instruction and Second Language Learning" (ed.). Special issue of Language Learning. Oxford: Blackwell.
- 2003 Task-based Language Learning and Teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press
- 2004/5 Analyzing Learner Language. Oxford: Oxford University Press (with Gary Barkhuizen)
- 2004/5 Planning in Task-based Performance. Amsterdam: John Benjamins (editor).
- 2008 The Study of Second Language Acquisition (2nd edition), Oxford: Oxford University Press
- 2009 Implicit and Explicit Knowledge in Second Language Learning, Testing and Teaching, Bristol, UK, Multilingual Matters (with S Loewen, C Elder, R Erlam, J Philp and H Reinders)
- 2005 Principles of Instructed Language Learning. Volume 7 Asian EFL Journal.
- 2007 Educational Settings and Second Language Learning. Volume 9 Asian EFL Journal.
- "JACET 50". Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Professor Rod Ellis". English Language Teaching, Oxford University Press. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- "Asian EFL Journal Editorial Board". Asian EFL Journal. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- "Professor Rod Ellis". The University of Auckland, New Zealand, Faculty of Arts. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- Ellis, Rod (September 2006). "The Methodology of Task-Based Teaching". Asian EFL Journal 8 (3).