12 June 1961 |
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
|Religion||Charismatic Christian, Pentecostal|
|Revival Ministries International|
Rodney Howard-Browne is a charismatic Christian preacher and evangelist. He is pastor of The River at Tampa Bay, a church which he and his wife founded in 1996, and heads Revival Ministries International. He was born in South Africa and has resided in Tampa, Florida, USA since the mid-1990s.
Howard-Browne states that, as a young boy in South Africa, he was raised in a Pentecostal family. In 1981, he met and married his wife Adonica. In 1987 the family immigrated to the United States.
According to Christianity Today, Howard-Browne's ministry is known for its focus on people receiving Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, repentance, and for signs and wonders including joy, laughter, weeping, physical healings, miracles, and "falling under the power" during his evangelistic services. This manifestation of joy gave rise to the term "holy laughter," and the nickname "Holy Ghost bartender," referring to congregation members spontaneously laughing during his services as they "get drunk" in the Holy Ghost, in accordance with Acts 2:15-18 where the Apostle Peter stated: 15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. 16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: 18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy."  In 1989, in upstate New York, revivals "broke out" in church meetings that Howard-Browne was leading or attending. He held a revival at the Carpenter's Home Church in Lakeland, Florida and was subsequently linked to the Toronto Blessing.
- Ravitz, Jessica. "Up for Godly giddiness: Pastor spreads the joy of salvation 'anywhere the Lord opens a door.'" The Salt Lake Tribune, March 22, 2007
- "Profile: Evangelist Rodney Howard-Browne." Religion and Ethics NewsWeekly, PBS, August 20, 1999
- Carnes, Tony. "Howard-Browne Takes New York." Christianity Today, August 9, 1999
- Bearden, Michelle. "The Holy Ghost Bartender." The Tampa Tribune, June 28, 1999
- Christ Church, Virginia Water, UK
- Beverley, James A (Jun 27, 1995). Holy Laughter and the Toronto Blessing: An Investigative Report. Zondervan,.
- Graham, Kevin. "Church's Hummer prize too worldly?" St. Petersburg Times, January 10, 2005