12 June 1961 |
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
|Religion||Charismatic Christian, Pentecostal|
|Revival Ministries International|
Rodney Howard-Browne is a charismatic Christian preacher and evangelist. He is pastor of The River at Tampa Bay, a church which he and his wife founded in 1996, and heads Revival Ministries International. He was born in South Africa and has resided in Tampa, Florida, USA since the mid-1990s.
Howard-Browne states that, as a young boy in South Africa, he was raised in a Pentecostal family. In 1981, he met and married his wife Adonica. In 1987 the family immigrated to the United States.
According to Christianity Today, Browne's ministry is known for its focus on what he calls "signs and wonders", characterized by laughing, making animal noises, trances and "falling under the power" during his evangelistic services. This gave rise to the term "holy laughter", and "Holy Ghost bartender", which refer to audience members spontaneously laughing loudly during his services. In 1989, in upstate New York, revivals "broke out" in church meetings that Howard-Browne was leading or attending. He held a controversial revival at the Carpenter's Home Church in Lakeland, Florida and was subsequently linked to the Toronto Blessing. The manifestations at the Toronto event became so contentious that the Vineyard Association of Churches severed ties with the Toronto church.
John Wimber, founder of the Vineyard, used the term "Power Evangelism" for when an unbeliever sees and experiences the power of God in a mighty way - such as through miracles or healings, along with a rational presentation of the gospel. This echoes the words of the apostle Paul "the kingdom of God does not consist of words, but of power". The experienced presence of the Holy Spirit calling sinners to repentance, and enabling believers to fulfill their God given potential, is the hallmark of Rodney Howard-Browne's ministry. Above all else, Rodney and Adonica Howard-Browne's mission may be summarized as "souls", meaning repentance from sin and acceptance of Jesus Christ as one's Lord and Savior. It is common for hundreds to come forward during Rodney Howard-Brown meetings and pray to receive the Lord Jesus Christ in their lives.
Howard-Browne serves as the pastor of a church in Tampa, Florida, which he founded in 1996. Rodney and his wife Adonica then founded Revival Ministries International in 1997 and currently are the acting Presidents of the River Bible Institute and the River School of Worship.
- Ravitz, Jessica. "Up for Godly giddiness: Pastor spreads the joy of salvation 'anywhere the Lord opens a door.'" The Salt Lake Tribune, March 22, 2007
- "Profile: Evangelist Rodney Howard-Browne." Religion and Ethics NewsWeekly, PBS, August 20, 1999
- Carnes, Tony. "Howard-Browne Takes New York." Christianity Today, August 9, 1999
- Bearden, Michelle. "The Holy Ghost Bartender." The Tampa Tribune, June 28, 1999
- Christ Church, Virginia Water, UK
- Beverley, James A (Jun 27, 1995). Holy Laughter and the Toronto Blessing: An Investigative Report. Zondervan,.
- John Wimber and Kevin Springer, Power Evangelism (Harper, San Francisco 1992), p.32
- 1Cor 4:20
- Graham, Kevin. "Church's Hummer prize too worldly?" St. Petersburg Times, January 10, 2005
- Howard-Browne, Rodney "The Vision of the President" Revival.com