Rodney Power Station
|Rodney Power Station|
Location of Rodney Power Station in New Zealand
|Location||between Helensville and Kaukapakapa, Rodney District|
|Thermal power station|
|Primary fuel||Natural gas|
|Units operational||1 (initial)
|Nameplate capacity||240 MW (initial)
480 MW (future)
The power station, if built, would be located on a 48 ha site midway between Helensville and Kaukapakapa on State Highway 16, near the Kaipara Harbour, north west of Auckland. The proposed development includes substantial upgrade or replacement of the Helensville waste water treatment plant, which the local council would otherwise have to fund.
The plant is designed to use high efficiency combined cycle gas turbine technology to meet the increasing demand for electricity in the north Auckland region. The location will also assist to ease constraints on HV electricity transmission.
In its assessment of Transpower's proposal to upgrade HV transmission to north of Auckland, the Electricity Commission considered that the Rodney power station project provided a generation alternative to transmission.
Genesis Energy's applications for resource consents including air discharges were notified for public submissions in April 2008, a public hearing was held in September and the resource consents were granted by Auckland Regional Council in December 2008.
Land use resource consents for the power station were granted by Rodney District Council in March 2009. A variation to the District Plan created a thermal energy generation rural zone between Helensville and Kaukapakapa.
Although resource consents and the District Plan provisions are in place, Genesis does not intend to proceed with construction in the near future. The resource consents allow Genesis a period of 15 years in which to build the plant.
- "Rodney Power Station". Genesis Energy. 2008. Retrieved 30 October 2008.
- "Reasons for decision set out in notice of intention to decline Proposal One in Transpower's North Auckland and Northland Investment Proposal". Electricity Commission. 19 December 2008. Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- Thompson, Wayne (17 December 2008). "Genesis wins consent for Rodney plan". The New Zealand Herald. Archived from the original on 16 August 2012. Retrieved 26 December 2008.
- "Stop Rodney Power Station". Kaukapakapa Area Residents and Ratepayers Assoc. Retrieved 15 January 2009.
- NZPA (27 March 2009). "Moving closer to Rodney power station". Fairfax.
- "Final legal barriers have been cleared for construction of a power station north of Auckland". Radio New Zealand. 6 January 2010.
- Genesis Energy - Rodney Power Station information page