Rodney Square is the public square and national historic district located in downtown Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, named after American Revolutionary leader Caesar Rodney. A large statue of Rodney by James E. Kelly stands in the front of the square. The square was created in the early 20th century by John Jacob Raskob who worked for Pierre S. du Pont. The City Beautiful movement served as the inspiration for the effort.
- Clifford Brown Jazz Festival
- First Night Wilmington
- Saint Patrick's Day Parade
- Citizen's Bank Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
The eight blocks surrounding the square contain a number of downtown buildings:
|American Life Building||1971||I.M. Pei||Brutalist||Multi-tenant office|
|MBNA Bracebridge I||1995||BofA credit card headquarters|
|Delaware Trust Building||1930||Dennison & Hirons||Classical Revival||Condos and restaurants, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.|
|DuPont Building||1908||DuPont headquarters|
|First & Central Church||Presbyterian Church USA|
|Public Building||1916||Henry Hornbostel||Classical Revival||Law firm|
|Wilmington Mansion||1860s||Wilmington Club, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.|
|Wilmington Post Office||1937||Associated Federal Architects||Classical Revival||Wilmington Trust headquarters, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.|
|Wilmington Public Library||1922||Edward Lippincott Tilton||Beaux-Arts||Library|
Rodney Square serves as a major hub for public transit with the following connections:
- DART First State bus lines: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 16, 17, 19/30, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 54, 55
- DART First State trolley: 32
- Brandywine Valley Scenic Byway Rodney Square, DE
- Milford, Maureen (2003-10-19). "MBNA's homage to the past". The News Journal. Archived from the original on November 2003. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
Abstract free; full text requires payment.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 8/09/11 through 8/12/11. National Park Service. 2011-08-19.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- Location Coordinates from the USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), feature ID 217603; use ID at search interface
- Historic Rodney Square Post Cards
- Downtown Wilmington
- Wilmington Visitors Bureau
- Wilmington City Government