Rodolfo Tan Cardoso
Cardoso was born in Anda, Pangasinan. In 1956, he won Philippine Junior Championship. In 1957, he took fifth place in the fourth World Junior Championship in Toronto, which was won by William Lombardy with a perfect score of 11-0. In 1957 the Pepsi-Cola company sponsored an eight-game match in New York between Cardoso, the 19-year-old Philippine Junior Champion, and Bobby Fischer, the 14-year-old U.S. Junior Champion. Fischer claimed the $325 victor's prize with a 6−2 score (+5 –1 =2).
In 1957/58, Cardoso won the Baguio City (zonal), thus qualifying him for the 1958 Portorož Interzonal, in which he finished 19th (Mikhail Tal won). He was Philippine Champion in 1958 and 1963. He took second place at Christchurch 1967 (New Zealand championship; Yuri Averbakh won). In 1974, he tied for first through fourth place in Casablanca. In 1974, he took 14th in Manila (Evgeni Vasiukov won). In 1975, he tied for 13-14th in Orense. In 1975, he took 10th in Las Palmas (Ruy Lopez Memorial; Ljubomir Ljubojević won).
- In 1956, at fourth board in the 12th Chess Olympiad in Moscow (+11 –2 =4);
- In 1958, at first board in the 13th Chess Olympiad in Munich (+10 –4 =5);
- In 1972, at second board in the 20th Chess Olympiad in Skopje (+10 –4 =3);
- In 1974, at second board in the 21st Chess Olympiad in Nice (+9 –6 =4).
He won the individual silver medal at Moscow 1956 with his winning percentage of .765.
He died of a heart attack in Manila on August 21, 2013.
- Gaige, Jeremy (1987), Chess Personalia, A Biobibliography, McFarland, p. 63, ISBN 0-7864-2353-6
- Brady, Frank (1989) , Bobby Fischer: Profile of a Prodigy, Dover, p. 19, ISBN 0-486-25925-0
- Cardoso, Radolfo Tan team chess record at olimpbase.org
- Cardoso, 1st Asian international master, dies, ABS-CBNews.com, August 21, 2013, retrieved August 21, 2013