|Full name||Rodrigo Alejandro Goldberg Mierzejewski|
|Date of birth||August 9, 1971|
|Place of birth||Santiago, Chile|
|Universidad de Chile|
|1989-1991||Universidad de Chile||-||(-)|
|1994-1997||Universidad de Chile||-||(-)|
|1997||Maccabi Tel Aviv||-||(-)|
|2000-2004||Maccabi Tel Aviv||75||(28)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Rodrigo Goldberg (born August 9, 1971) is a former Chilean international football player. As a player, he gained national notoriety in Israel for his talented play with Maccabi Tel Aviv and good use of the Hebrew language. Today, he works as a commentator on Canal del Fútbol in Chile.
Time in Israel
Goldberg was an integral part of the Maccabi Tel Aviv squad that took back to back cup titles and a league championship thereafter. He had a strained relationship with club captain, Avi Nimni, and even verbally criticized him in the Israeli media before returning to Chile.
Return to Chile
After playing for four seasons in Israel, Goldberg returned to his native Chile to play for Santiago Morning. During a club match against Palestino, he was subjected to anti-semitic abuse from the oppositions supporters because of his Polish and German Jewish background. Goldberg is, however, a Catholic, as a result of the conversion of his grandparents.
- Sagi, Miki (2006-04-19). רודריגו גולדברג: "קראו לי בצ'ילה יהודי זבל" (in Hebrew). Yedioth Ahronoth. Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- Sagi, Miki (2006-04-19). "'They called me Jewish garbage'". Yedioth Ahronoth. Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- Zenzifer, Nadav (2003-03-10). נמני: "גורמים במכבי הסיתו שחקנים נגדי" (in Hebrew). Iton Tel Aviv. Retrieved 2007-05-21.[dead link]
- AFP (2006-04-18). "Insultos antisemitas en torneo chileno" (in Spanish). Univision.com. Retrieved 2007-05-21.
- Eskenazi, Gerald (20 March 2012). "Chile's 'Jewish' soccer star". Retrieved 25 January 2014.
I'm not Jewish. The only Hebrew word I knew was 'shalom.' My grandparents were German and Polish Jews, and they converted because in this country, it was easier to be Catholic
- (Hebrew) Profile and statistics of Rodrigo Goldberg on One.co.il
- (Spanish) Limited profile of Rodrigo Goldberg on the Base de datos del futbol Argentino
|This biographical article related to Chilean football is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|